Together

Moony eventually fell into a tormented sleep that only the wolf knew. He shivered and twitched while his flesh tried to heal. Even with his friends---Padfoot, Prongs, and Wormtail---there, he still kept himself from lashing out by inflicting vicious attacks on his own body.

Occasionally, he whimpered. His jowl trembled each time he made a noise.

Padfoot huffed and stopped circling his friend when Prongs stomped his cloven hoof. The dark dog watched as the stag approached the sleeping werewolf. Prongs dropped his head and nuzzled the prone form gently, making long strokes along the hairy back.

Wormtail had ventured closer, but he was still hesitant. His nose and whiskers wriggled as he contemplated the scene in front of him.

The dark dog huffed again and then eased himself down---front first, then haunches---next to Moony and rested his head on his exhausted, injured friend. He stayed like that for a few minutes, and then he started lapping at the wounds gently; he tried to clean Moony up as best as he could from his position. He didn't want to move. However, when he saw Prongs ease himself down next to Moony, Padfoot decided he could get up and move around to clean his friend up to his satisfaction.

The sun's early morning rays started to filter through the windows of the shack in which they were hiding. Moony's body breathed a sigh of relief, and then it transformed; the wolf became a man, but Padfoot didn't stop licking and nuzzling.

In relief, Wormtail sighed and morphed into Peter. The transformation was new and difficult for him to obtain, and it was hard on his physical form; Prongs and Padfoot both snorted in agreement when they heard him collapse in exhaustion. He would be out cold for at least a few hours, hopefully recovering before Remus had to go back to the dormitory---because it would take the three of them to get their friend safely into bed.

When Prongs felt Remus shiver, he morphed back into James. Wearing nothing but a pair of trousers, he slipped closer to Lupin and gently draped one arm around his shivering form. His other hand sought one of Remus' hands and he wove their fingers together, silently assuring his friend that he was there and he wasn't going anywhere.

Padfoot reclined again along Remus' other side. He hoped his fur would warm the sleeping boy.

James reached with his free hand and patted Padfoot's back before rubbing his ear. The dark dog sighed softly and closed his eyes. It was almost over for another month.

This time was easier; the next times would be easier.

They would get through it together.

James, Remus, Sirius.

Prongs, Moony, Padfoot.

Of course, there was always Peter---or Wormtail. But, as Padfoot opened one eye and examined Peter's almost-lifeless form, he knew that Remus really only had two to depend upon. Peter was their friend, but he wasn't as strong as they were; or, at least, Padfoot didn't believe he was that strong.

Remus' shivering stopped slowly. Padfoot sighed again and then let himself morph back into Sirius. He shook his unruly black hair out of his eyes and then he looked over at James.

"He'll be up soon," Sirius whispered.

James nodded. "Yeah," he breathed softly.

"Peter's got to toughen up," he added, earning a small smile from James.

"Whaddyathinkyertuffnuff?" Remus slurred sleepily.

Sirius smirked and moved closer to his friend, mirroring James' position on the fairer boy's other side. "I do," he whispered in reply. "Almost as tough as you."

"Shuddup," Lupin grunted, before smothering a yawn.

James smiled and reached up, brushing Remus' reddish-brown hair off of his forehead. "Just rest," he whispered.

Remus made a soft noise of agreement. Then, after a minute, he whispered, "Stay."

Sirius let his hand drift down over Remus' stomach as he spooned up behind his friend's nude form. He rested his head behind Remus' so his lips were at the back of the scratched neck. "Of course, Moony," he murmured in a soft tone that betrayed the brash personality he demonstrated in public. "We're staying."

"Gud," Remus managed.

Together they held his debilitated form, letting as much of their skin touch his in hopes to keep him warm. Sirius let his fingers brush over James' for a minute, and then he brought his hand back to Remus' stomach. He sighed softly when he felt James bring his hand and Remus' hand closer, and then he smiled when their fingers formed a bond.

They would always be together.

The End!