Cats and Dogs

Chapter One


"Did you eat the muffin?"

Leo McGarry glared at his assistant. The redhead seemed unfazed by the aggravated expression on his face, and the low growl that barely escaped his throat.

"Well?" Margaret challenged.

"Yeah, okay? I ate the goddamned muffin."

The woman backed down and stepped out of the doorway to his office. "Alright then," she said. "Think about what you want for lunch, and let me know."

"Oh, good grief. Drop it."

Margaret flashed him a tiny smile. "CJ's in your office, and Special Agent Gibbs called an hour ago."

"What did he want?"

Margaret shrugged. "He was pretty vague. Didn't give me much to go on. He said he'd call back later, but I wouldn't put any money down on that. You know how he can be."

Leo sighed. A phonecall from Gibbs was never good---his many years in the District taught him that.

"It's pack---"

Margaret nodded, so Leo stopped talking. He rubbed his forehead and groaned. "Aw, hell. I'm playing kindergarden cop on the Hill, Toby is butting heads over State with Monday's speech, whatever CJ's got for me can't be good---" his voice dropped "---and, on top of the normal stuff, y'know, the full moon's coming, which always brings out the crazies, and now Gibbs is calling?"

The redhead nodded. "I'm afraid so."

"If anything else goes wrong, I don't want you to tell me."

Margaret smiled a little. "Sure, Boss."

The older man growled under his breath and marched into his office, closing the door quietly behind him. CJ was sitting in a chair, her posture nearly perfect, her eyes focused on something happening outside his window. A quick glance of his own told him there was a bird on a nearby tree. He smiled and walked behind his desk.

CJ Cregg's blue eyes flitted from the window to Leo. She smiled.

He smiled back. She could have a calming effect on him sometimes---he found it odd, since they were different species of shapeshifters, but he was glad for the effect nevertheless. "Whatcha got for me, CJ?"

"Everything okay, Leo?"

"Do you really want to go there?" Leo asked, his voice dry and rough. He smiled again when she shook her head. "Alright. So...?"

"The Post's guy---"

"Danny's replacement?"

CJ nodded and then continued talking. As she talked about vote numbers, aides' comments, and the new reporter, Leo found himself wondering why CJ was ever attracted to Danny Concannon in the first place. Leo could admit that he had a rugged appeal, but since he was only human, he never thought it would go anywhere---afterall, CJ was too feline, and Danny was too human.

"This guy already has the numbers, you can't do anything with that," Leo said after a sigh. He looked over at CJ for a moment, then put his glasses on and turned to his computer. He typed his password in and started to check his new e-mail, as he spoke. "So, let those go. Find the aides who spoke out of turn, take away their hall passes for a few days... make 'em sort Josh's office out, or something. And---"

"Don't let Toby find out?" CJ asked with a knowing, cat-got-the-canary smile. "I'm already on it."

Leo smiled at her. "Good. That wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be."

"What else is going on?" she asked. "Anything I can help with?"

"You heard anything about the animal attacks and killings going on?"

CJ nodded. Her relaxed expression shifted; she tensed and let her eyebrows furrow.

"Yeah..." Leo agreed with her expression, nodding and sighing. "So, on top of running the government, I also have that to look into."

"The First Lady told me to be careful," she said quietly. Then, she smiled---although it never quite reached her eyes. "Not like this job gives me any time to go hiking in the woods or anything."

Leo smiled back at her. "True."

"You're keeping in touch with other wolves?" she asked.

"The President likes it when I do," he replied. "I'm supposed to be---"

He stopped short when he saw three e-mails from Jethro Gibbs.

"Leo?"

"And they keep in touch with me," Leo said, looking up at CJ. "Just got a few news clippings." He double clicked on one of the e-mail headings and saw some news about the black market and pelt sales. He frowned. "Excellent. Black market, fur sales... my day is complete."

CJ grimanced. "If you want me to do anything..." she offered.

"Want to go tell the First Lady for me?"

The tall shifter grinned suddenly. "You just don't want to see her."

"We fight like cats and dogs, CJ---"

"How fitting," she interupted, teasing him.

He rolled his eyes and tried to glare at her, but found her smile was infectious. He let himself get swept away in the smile, in how it felt to enjoy happiness for a moment.

"---and I don't need that right now, Claudia Jean. I have way too much on my plate, and having the First Lady demand that I drop everything and serve her needs before her husband's never makes my life any easier."

"No, because the President wouldn't like if his beta wolf got roped into a feline flight of fancy," CJ said, still grinning at him.

Leo chuckled. "Pretty much. Get out of here, would ya?"

She smiled and nodded, before pushing herself up off of his chair.

As she walked to his doorway, he called out her name. She stopped and turned back.

"Thanks, CJ," he told her.

With another smile and nod, she waved and opened his door. When Leo was alone again, he forced himself to pound out a reply to Jethro's e-mail.



Chapter Two



"The twins sleeping?" CJ asked quietly as Andrea Wyatt returned to the bedroom.

The redhead nodded. "Curled up together, sleeping soundly," she murmured as she shrugged out of her robe and walked over to the bed, hair falling over her shoulders and down her back.

Toby opened his arms when Andy returned to the bed. CJ adjusted her position, draping one bare leg over the man's as she stretched out on her stomach.

"Comfortable?" Andy teased, reaching over and stroking CJ's bare back.

"Mmmm," CJ purred. "Very. I like this bed."

"Must be why you never stay at your house," the man commented, his beard twitching as he tried to hide a smile.

CJ rolled onto her side and looked up at her colleague, friend, pard mate, and occasional lover. She patted his bare stomach. "You have a very nice den, Mr. Zeigler."

He chuckled, but the sound faded as Andy stretched her pale skinned body over Toby's and buried her face in his neck.

CJ smiled and watched them. They were much better together when they ignored human expectations and followed their instincts: together when they needed to be, apart when they had to be. Being classified---married or divorced or dating---never seemed to work for them.

"Something on your mind?" Toby asked quietly to the redhead. "You seem antsy."

"Long day," she whispered. "But it's better now---I always feel better when I can feel your skin."

CJ smiled and reached up with her hand. When her fingers connected with Andy's back, the redhead purred and stretched her muscles. Taking that as an invitation, CJ scooted closer. Toby lifted one of his arms and made room for her, so the three of them were cuddling.

"I wonder if regular people did this... if they'd feel better, too," CJ commented quietly.

Toby chuckled. "I can't imagine people would get past their social constructions to do this."

"Mmm... no. Probably not," Andy added.

After a few languid kisses, shared mostly for comfort---instead of sex, the three wereleopards curled up and dozed. Their collective purring made a rumbling sound that could be heard through most of the house; it ran an interesting duet with the rain that was pouring down outside.

####


CJ woke up the instant she heard her phone ringing. Over Toby's purrs---made louder because he had fallen asleep between two pard mates, two women, and he was very content---CJ had a more difficult time locating the contraption.

She didn't recognise the number, but decided to answer it anyway.

"Hello?" she asked softly.

The voice sounded familiar, but she couldn't quite make it out.

"Hang on," she said. She took the phone away and turned to tap Toby firmly in his rounded stomach. "Toby! Shh!"

He growled and opened one eye. "What?" he croaked.

"I'm on the phone."

"Work?"

She shrugged. "Dunno yet. You're too loud when you're happy."

Andy, who had apparently been awake since their conversation started, started to laugh. It was a sleepy sound, but nevertheless a happy sound.

"Okay," CJ said as she put the phone up to her ear. "Let's try this again."

"CJ?!"

She blinked. "Sam?"

CJ hadn't heard from Sam Seaborn since the leader of their small group told him he had to leave. Sam had made a few mistakes---shifting in inappropriate places, telling someone what he was---but CJ had hated the decision, since she knew what pard life was like for Sam before he came to the East Coast---but Sam went back to California, under the pretense of running for Congress, and a shy, timid (and completely human) speech writer named Will Bailey came to take his place.

Hearing his voice made her shiver. Hearing and feeling CJ's reaction made Andy and Toby sit up sharply and watch her converse.

"Oh, thank god. I knew you had your number changed, but I couldn't remember---"

CJ cut him off in a gentle voice. "Are you alright? What's going on?"

"We... there was someone at the gathering who wasn't... who wasn't pard..." Sam said quietly, nervously. "It was awful. There was an ambush."

CJ's mind clicked back to the conversation she had with Leo, earlier in the day. She frowned. "Are you hurt?"

"I shifted," he told her. "I mean, I'm walking a little funny, and I can't take my shirt off any time soon, but, y'know, there's no scaring on my pretty baby face."

She smiled a little. "Can you go to anyone in your pard?"

"You're my pard!" he exclaimed. "I don't trust anyone in the group here, they're all so... into themselves. And feeling good. There's too much sex. I can't trust anyone who spends their time high and fucking anything that moves."

CJ felt a warm, masculine hand on her lower back. When she turned her head, she met Toby's brown eyes.

When she lifted her eyebrows in question, Toby said, "Bring our boy home."

She glanced at Andy; the woman nodded in agreement.

"Come home," she whispered into the phone.

"What about---"

"Toby and I will talk to her tomorrow morning," CJ interupted. She knew there would be trouble---but she hoped she and Toby were high enough in the pecking order to convince their dominant to allow the move. "Just pack up some stuff and get your ass on a plane."

"Thank you," Sam breathed. CJ could almost smell the relief he was experiencing.

"Just come home."

"Y-yeah," Sam agreed.

"Call me when you get closer," CJ told him. "I'll let you know where you're going."

"Not your place?" Sam asked. "I like your bathtub."

"You'll like Toby's even more."

CJ launched into a quick explanation: she ended up spending a lot of time at Toby's home---Andy's dream home---because the two parents wanted to provide more of a pard experience for the twins and because CJ didn't like being alone in her home, and the few nights a week she could spend with other leopards didn't give her enough of the comfort she craved; she kept her apartment, but she only spends one night a week there on average.

"It sounds so safe," Sam murmured.

"It is," CJ said with a lingering look at the other two adults in the bed.

"I'll call you when I hit the East Coast."

CJ smiled. "See you soon, Sam."

After she snapped the phone shut, she felt Toby and Andy pull her back into a horizontal position on the bed. She sighed and rubbed her face first against Andy's cheek and then Toby's beard.

"He's coming home," CJ whispered.

Andy nodded and kissed CJ's neck, before gently biting and holding some flesh between her teeth. The tall press secretary shivered and put her hand over Andy's, as it slid along her stomach.

"Are we in a celebratory mood, Andrea?" Toby asked, a smile in his voice.

Andy purred against CJ's throat in reply.



Chapter Three



"How's the speech going, Toby?" Leo asked as Toby stood to follow CJ and Will and Josh out of the office.

Toby turned, pivoting on his heel, and then he shrugged. "I have another meeting with that guy from State. I'm thinking about giving it to Will."

Leo smirked. "That's the guy who hates the Baileys, right?"

"You bet."

The chief of staff chuckled. "Alright. Send a draft to my office by the end of the day?"

"You got it, Boss," Toby said with a little mock-salute.

"Anything else on your mind?"

Toby was pretty easy to read. He never opened himself up for the world to examine---Leo was certain his self-preservation techiques were stronger than his own---but if one knew the man well enough, there were certain signs.

"I need time with the First Lady today," Toby said, without preamble.

Leo winced. "What's going on?"

"Sam."

"He okay?"

"He called CJ last night," Toby explained. "There was an incident in Los Angeles. Not pretty. He's banged up and scared and... and I want him home."

Leo nodded. "So does CJ, I can imagine."

"And Andy," Toby added.

The fair man looked up. "How's the home pard thing going, anyway?"

Toby shrugged. "Huck and Molly are happy with it."

"No change yet?"

"Probably not for a year or two," Toby replied. "But, I think CJ's okay with that. She likes the bed Andy brought with her during the move."

Leo chuckled. CJ had always been attracted to comfort. For instance, she chose certain gowns because of the way they felt---rather than the way they looked.

"Sounds like CJ."

Toby nodded.

Leo looked at the dark man. "Yeah... I'll get Margaret to make time with her. She'll call you when she's got it."

"Thanks, Leo."

####


When the bearded man stepped inside the First Lady's outer office, he felt a pull of power. There was another shapeshifter inside. His first guess would have been Amy Gardner, a wolf and family friend of the Bartlets---but, he had seen Amy in her office.

After sniffing the air, he knew it would be another leopard. It didn't smell like CJ, nor did it smell like Andy. If the Bartlets' daughters were in town, he'd say it was Ellie. His next guesses were Charlie or Ann Stark. Charlie was the likely guess.

And Toby was right. Upon being ushered into the inner sanctum, he saw Charlie sitting next to Abbey Bartlet's desk, sipping a cup of coffee.

"Toby," Abbey said, smiling brightly. "What can I do for you today?"

Toby shuffled his feet for a moment and then ducked his head a little. He hated displays of dominance and submission, and he hoped the head bow was enough.

"Yeah, yeah," she murmured. "What do you need?"

"Sam's been hurt," he blurted out.

He lifted his head in time to see the colour drain out of the older woman's face.

"Badly?" Charlie asked, looking up at the man with wide eyes.

"Enough that CJ and I want him home."

Abbey thought for a moment and then nodded. "I'll set up a car to pick him up at the airport. Make sure Amy knows his flight details, Toby."

"You... you're going to let him---"

She nodded again. "He's been gone long enough..." she trailed off. Toby wondered if she was going to admit to making a mistake. She smiled sadly and said, "I miss our little ray of sunshine."

That was as close to an apology that Toby knew he would ever hear.

He bowed his head again. "Thank you, ma'am."

"Pass flight details up, Toby, and my office will see that Sam gets here safely. He can stay in the Residence until he feels better, so if you and CJ want to stay over and help him, you're more than welcome to."

"Thank you," Toby said. "I'd like to stay, and I imagine CJ would as well."

"I want to stay, too," Charlie blurted out.

Abbey nodded. She tilted her head and smiled. "How's the speech coming?"

Toby glared at her. "Ma'am, don't bait me."

She chuckled. "That well?"

He huffed for a moment, before he dissolved into a very brief laugh. "Swimmingly well," he joked dryly.

The brunette nodded and stood up. She crossed the floor, walking in a smooth stride towards him. She touched his shoulder and then slid her hand up to his neck. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the contact.

When he was growing up, he knew he was different---but he didn't know why. His father was in jail, and his mother was human and unaware of their condition. He didn't change because he didn't know how. But, he knew he was different and he didn't let anyone get close enough.

By the time he learned what he was---thanks to Andrea---he realised that touch was one of the most important things to their kind. Once he spent enough time around other shapeshifters, he grew to crave touch, even if he could never tune down the prickly attitude he had developed in his early teens.

Luckily, he never had to go without touch at this stage in his life. He was surrounded by shifters, both wolves and leopards, since the Bartlets were a family of both species. While he never let the wolves get too close, he knew they were there and if he needed to be brought down or given strength, they were there to help.

They were a team. An odd team. No one would admit to it---since many of the them believed they should stick to their own kind---but they were a team of some sort.

"You're a good writer," she told him. "It'll be brilliant."

"Uh... thanks."

She smiled and stepped back. "His attack was one of the... hunts that Leo was telling me about?" Abbey asked.

Toby shrugged. "Sam thinks so."

She frowned. "Why now... why all of a sudden?"

"There's a market opening up for our fur," Toby grumbled.

"Both types?"

He nodded.

The older woman sighed. "Well... Jed's been right all this time," she said. "We need to fight this together. I don't want to lose one of ours, and I know Jed doesn't want to lose any of his... we have to look out for each other."

Toby nodded again. "Yes, ma'am."

"You've been thinking this for a while."

He shrugged.

She looked into his eyes. "You should have told me, Toby."

"Ma'am, it wasn't my place."

"You are usually honest and up front with me, Toby," she pointed out. "I don't want that to change."

"I... it gets confusing, sometimes. With our White House roles and---"

She nodded and patted his arm. Again, Toby felt the little tingle in his nerves from the touch. "Just talk to me, next time," she murmured.

"Yes, ma'am," Toby said with a little nod.

She smiled a bit. "You should probably get back. Charlie," she added, turning her head. "You should, too. I don't want my husband calling up here to tell me to stop stealing his staff away."

Charlie smiled and rose to his feet. "Yes, ma'am."

"Toby, don't forget to let Amy know about Sam's flight."

"As soon as CJ tells me, I'll pass it up."

"Good boy," she said, smiling at him. "Do good work, boys."

Once the two men were in the hall, Charlie looked at Toby. "Sam's going to be okay, right?"

Toby nodded. "I think so. He's well enough to get on a plane, so it looks good. He's just sore and cold and scared and he needs to be with family."

Charlie nodded. "Okay... let me know if I can do anything?"

"You'll stay tonight," Toby said. "That's a lot."

"He's family," the dark-skinned man said with a shrug.

Toby smiled and patted Charlie's back.



Chapter Four



The black leopard lifted her head and licked her jowls before yawning loudly. The spotted feline that was sharing the coffin with her stretched and flopped onto her side---clearly, she wasn't in the mood for waking up.

After some nudging and a soft growl, both leopards were on the floor and sauntering to the bathroom. Abby's house had a large, walk-in shower, and the rule was that they always had to shift in that easy-to-clean space.

Kate Todd slumped against the shower wall after she changed, ignoring the slimey substance coating the floor and her feet. She knew once Abby shifted, they would shower and get ready to face the day.

The slime would get washed away, rinsed down the drain. It was just a fact of who they were. Tony's nail clippings and dirty kleenexes would bother her, but the slime would not.

"Oh, god," Abby moaned.

Kate smiled. "Good morning," she murmured.

"That was the best sleep ever," the black haired girl said. "We've got to sleep like that more often."

"Okay, well, you tell Gibbs that we need more days off so we can sleep in," Kate said as Abby turned the hot water on. "If I tell him, he'll fire me."

Abby snorted. "I'm just cute that way."

"He's the only wolf I've seen get so soft around a different type of shifter," Kate commented.

"Don't forget Tony," Abby piped up.

Kate rolled her eyes. "He's already soft."

"You just don't know him well enough," Abby said.

"Abby Scuito... are you keeping something from me?"

Abby smiled and shrugged. "You just haven't spent much time around him yet. He'll open up once he knows you're okay."

"His alpha hired me. Shouldn't that be enough?"

"Tony's careful."

Kate snorted. She could hardly picture Tony DiNozzo as the careful type. She was about to say something to that effect, but Abby looked at her with her sombre dark eyes, and Kate promptly closed her mouth.

She trusted the female wereleopard---it had been an almost instant bond.

Kate had been furious with herself for having to resign from her Secret Service detail, but she had let her horomones control her job performance and that couldn't be excused. Ron Butterfield's disapproval had cut deep; she didn't know when that emotional wound would heal.

The First Lady had told her that she was doing the right thing, to make up for her mistake, and the only consolation was that she was being hired into a group of other shifters.

Abby had taken her under her gothic wing almost instantaneously, and Dr. Mallard and his assistant, Gerald, followed suit. Kate relaxed. Her self-inflicted punishment wasn't so bad.

After they showered, they got dressed and headed out of the apartment, wasting very little time.

Within thirty minutes of getting into Kate's car, they were sitting at a sidewalk café with Ducky and Gerald, enjoying coffee and tea and bagels.

"Caitlin, my dear," Dr. 'Ducky' Mallard said after pleasantries. "You look positively radiant this morning."

Kate beamed at him. "We had a very good sleep last night."

"Ah... yes, a shifted sleep is always a solid sleep," Ducky said, approval evident in his voice. "Gerald and I try to do indulge at least once or twice a week."

"I'd do it more than that," Gerald said in his low voice. "But, Ducky's mom gets scared when she wakes up, wanders, and sees two big cats in her son's bed."

Abby smiled at the medical examiner. "She forgets?"

"Quite frequently," Ducky admitted with a little smile. "And she tends to wander into my bathroom instead of her own. Tile becomes quite slippery after two wereleopards change shape in there."

Kate sipped her coffee and nodded. "Well, at least you get to do it at all."

"You have yet to find a suitable apartment for changing?" Ducky asked. "I thought you've lived here in the District for quite some time."

"Oh, I have... my apartment's okay. But, it's not quite the same when I don't have a roommate---plus Gibbs keeps us on a schedule that doesn't really let us get much sleep."

Gerald smirked and Ducky chuckled. Abby licked her lips and said nothing.

"He's behind me, isn't he?" Kate asked on a groan.

"Kate, if you want to sleep, you should've gone over to the FBI," Gibbs said in his regular, brusque tone, as he rounded the table and pulled a chair up so he was sitting between Ducky and Abby.

"My silver-haired fox," Abby murmured affectionately.

He reached out and tugged on one of her pigtails. "Hey, Kitten," he murmured back.

She beamed at him and then offered him half of her bagel. He took it as Gerald asked about Tony.

The blue-eyed man smiled a bit. "I left him at home. He's still sleeping."

"Rough night last night?" Abby teased.

Kate never thought Jethro Gibbs would be the type to blush---but as Abby teased him, the brunette saw a faint flush of colour appear on his cheeks.

"He's licking his wounds," Gibbs said with a cryptic smile.

"Oh, I'm jealous," Abby muttered as she shifted in her seat.

Ducky laughed softly and then quickly changed the subject, before Kate could ask any questions. She let the doctor talk about an interesting story of wounds and shapeshifters; she sensed that Gibbs did not want the earlier conversation to continue, and she knew she wasn't high enough in the NCIS pecking order, nor their team's personal relationship order, to ask them what they meant.



Chapter Five



"Hello, Sweetknees," Jed Bartlet said affectionately as Abbey walked into the Oval Office. "I hear we're having lunch right now."

The brunette grinned at him. "You have two ears that work, then." She winked. "Now, I know you just ignore me in the morning when I start talking politics."

Jed waved the comment off and then tugged her close for a quick kiss. "You smell good," he commented. "You wearing that stuff I bought you."

"Mmhmmm," she purred.

"Damn, I know I'm in trouble," the President commented.

Abbey laughed. "I think someone's bringing us food---"

"There it is," Jed said as a knock sounded at the door.

A steward brought a small cart in. Sandwiches and soup were on the tray, as well as a few bottles of sparkling water.

"Thank you, Niles," Abbey murmured as the suited man left.

"You're welcome, ma'am, Mr. President."

Once they were alone, the married couple sat down on the sofa and started to feed themselves.

After a few bites, Jed lifted his head and said, "What's up, Buttercup?"

Abbey smiled at him. "We have an old friend coming in tonight."

"Who? Marbury?"

The woman snorted. "God, no. I don't need that kind of torment right now."

"Neither do I," Jed huffed. "I know leopards are promiscuous, but he fawns all over you like---"

"I don't sleep around," Abbey interupted. "You know that."

"I know. I just hate that he thinks he has a chance with you," Jed pouted.

Abbey leaned over and kissed him. "Well, he doesn't. So, let me tell you the news, okay?"

"Okay."

"Sam's coming back."

"Leo didn't mention it."

Abbey shook her head. "No... it's pard business, Jed."

"Is he alright?"

"He got hurt somehow," Abbey replied. "He'll spend the night in one of the extra bedrooms. Charlie, CJ, and Toby are going to stay with him... he'll move in with them after I've checked him over."

Jed nodded slowly. "Poor kid. I've missed him..."

"I know you have," she whispered. "I'm sorry I sent him away---"

"He was a little too young and free-spirited," Jed interupted gently. "I don't blame you for sending him away."

Abbey frowned. "Still... I'm sorry."

Jed leaned over and kissed her temple. "It's okay. I would have done the same thing if it had been Amy or Josh."

Abbey nodded. She knew that was true. They were shapeshifters who were running the country---they had to be careful. If their secret ever got out to the wrong people, it would be a monumental disaster for them and for shapeshifters across the country.

"Leo knows?"

"He was waiting until Toby told me."

"I'll ask Leo to hire him as special counsel to the senior staff or something," Jed said firmly. "He'll whip up a good title. He's good at that sort of thing."

Abbey nodded and rested her head on her husband's shoulder. "Thank you."

"You'd do the same for me."

She nodded again.

"Are the girls coming in any time soon?"

"Zoey's here already."

"And the other girls? You know... we have three."

Jed chuckled. "Ellie's busy with her study of that virus thing. Liz and Doug are taking the kids camping this week."

"Fun."

"Doug doesn't exactly strike me as the type that knows how to pitch a tent."

Abbey chuckled. Jed glared at her. "I did not mean that sort of tent, Abigail."

She smirked and kissed him. "I love you, Jethro."

"Don't call me that."

"Oh, I think I will," she murmured before gently tweaking his chin.



Chapter Six



Toby growled as CJ paced the bedroom. When she reached out to adjust the pillows, he quickly trapped her wrist in his hand.

"They're fine. Stop it."

In a corner of the room, at a table with schoolwork spread out over it, Charlie chuckled. When the other two adults glared at him, he shrugged but said nothing.

CJ sat down on the bed and started tapping her toes against the carpetted floor. Toby started to pace.

"He'll be here soon," Charlie said, not looking up from the essay he was writing. "Both of you, chill out."

Toby growled at him, but it didn't have the same threat behind it as the sound did when it was directed at CJ. So, Charlie smiled and continued doing his homework.

They smelled and heard Sam in the hallway before the door opened. CJ jumped up and walked to the door, putting her hand on its knob as an agent opened the door from the outside.

Sam Seaborn was a little rough around the edges---his hair was longer, his face was scratched up, and he wasn't wearing the usual custom-made suits that he preferred---but his smile still shone through.

"Hey, CJ," he murmured, his voice cracking a little, before he fell into her arms for a warm hug.

"Thank you, Jason," Toby said behind them, to the agent. "Please don't open the door until the First Lady requests it."

"Yes, Mr. Zeigler."

Once the door was closed, Sam lifted his head from CJ's shoulder and nuzzled her jaw and neck; he inhaled deeply and when CJ tilted her head to one side, granting him access, he licked her skin. He exposed his neck to CJ and she repeated the intimate gesture, before tightening her hold on him and rocking him gently.

"Let him breathe, CJ."

"Is that...?"

"Hey, Sam," Toby said as he patted Sam's shoulder.

Sam kissed CJ's cheek and then he launched himself at Toby. He buried his face in the other man's neck and beard and inhaled his scent in. CJ reached over and tousled Sam's hair for a moment, before she stepped back and let Charlie into their grouping.

After Toby released Sam, he and Charlie embraced. It wasn't as warm and opening as the moments Sam held with CJ and Toby, but it was still affectionate.

"Bath time, Spanky," CJ murmured.

Sam nodded. "How... I mean---"

He stopped talking when she took his hand. She smiled and directed him into the small, private bathroom. When she closed the door, she removed her clothes; she then took a moment to press her body against his in a warm hug, before she started removing his clothes.

When they were both fully nude, CJ turned the water on and plugged the tub. Then, she wrapped her arms around him and held him close.

Skin on skin contact was one of the best things for their kind. It meant trust and love; the contact wasn't always about sex. CJ spent enough time around shapeshifters to become comfortable in her skin. At Toby's house, they only wore clothes when they had to---not because they wanted easy access to sexual pleasure, but because they were comfortable with each other and at the end of the day they enjoyed sharing their body heat for comfort.

"I missed you so much," Sam whispered.

"I know," she murmured. "I missed you, too."

"I'm sorry," he whimpered. "I know I screwed up. I just---"

"You were in love," she interupted gently. "I forgive you. So does everyone else in our little pard."

Sam nodded and tucked his face into her shoulder. CJ kissed his head and stroked her fingers through his hair until she felt his body relax.

"Tub's almost full," Sam commented without lifting up and looking at the water level.

"Yeah... you ready to get in?"

"You're joining me, right?" Sam asked, a blush appearing on his cheeks as he looked into CJ's eyes.

She smiled and nodded. "Of course. Someone has to clean you up," she whispered, before kissing his chin.

"Who bit you?" he asked, smiling a little.

"Andy," CJ replied as she nudged him towards the tub.

"Ah... cute mark."

"Carol was insufferable today," CJ said in response. "Wanting to know who I was dating... was Danny in town? Because she couldn't imagine me letting anyone else mark me like that." She sighed. "I adore Carol, but sometimes I wish I had followed Leo's lead and hired a shifter as my assistant."

"Josh does alright with Donna."

"Because Josh doesn't... well, because Josh lives in a closet."

Sam smiled. "Good point. And you like the creature comforts too much."

She grinned at him. "You make it sound like it's a bad thing."

"God, no," Sam replied. "Never a bad thing. I like the lap of luxury as much as you do." He sighed and started easing himself into the tub. "I want a house filled with silky fabrics and comfortable cushions and I want to lie on them all day. Naked."

CJ chuckled. "Sounds like a very nice life, Sam."

"Oh, yeah," he agreed as he sank down into the water and leaned his head back.

CJ waited for him to relax before she got into the tub. Once he opened his eyes and scooted forward, CJ smiled at him and slipped into the water behind him.

"Charlie's coming in to wash you," she murmured while playing with his hair. "Just soak and relax."

"Big team effort."

She kissed the top of his head. "You're our sunshine man, Schmutzy Pants."

He chuckled. "I think I'm supposed to say thank you, right?"

"Say whatever you want," CJ whispered as she reached around and rubbed his chest.

"Don't stop," Sam breathed, shuddering against her.

"How long has it been since someone's really touched you, Sam?"

"Too long," he croaked.

CJ felt the air around them change; it had thickened and was pouring over them. CJ smiled and kissed his neck. "You'll let me take care of you."

He nodded, even though her words had been a statement and not a question. CJ smiled more and let her hands roam over his body; it had been a while since she had touched Sam, but she still remembered all the breathy sighs and moans that guided her through her massage.

"God, Ceej," Sam whimpered.

She chuckled and slid her hand down his stomach. It took some awkward wriggling, but she managed to her her hand over his hip and towards his legs. She found him already half-hard, twitching slightly once she had the organ against her hand.

"Pleeeease," he begged.

CJ kissed his shoulder. "So... that's a yes, right?"

He groaned and rubbed his back against her chest. "Please, please, please... god, Ceeeej. Yes."

She laughed and closed her hand around him. His hips bucked up, creating friction and making Sam whimper again. She kept her mouth hot over his pulse point on his neck; when she sucked harder, he writhed above her.

"Oh..."

"When you're feeling better," CJ promised against his skin. "We'll have a proper romp."

Sam whimpered again.

She chuckled and slid her hand along his erection, squeezing around him from time to time. Sam trembled and cried. By the time CJ was finished teasing him, Sam was a quivering mass against her body.

CJ sank her teeth into the fleshy muscle of his shoulder as she squeezed her hand around him once more. Sam twitched against her and then cried out loudly.

The female feline was already licking her hand clean as Sam slumped against her and closed his eyes.

"Better?" she asked.

"Mmhmmm..."

She chuckled and kissed his head. Then, she called out for Charlie. He came into the bedroom, the dim lights glinting on his dark skin. CJ smiled appreciatively at him; he was helping and he was attractive, so CJ appreciated him on two counts.

"All set?" Charlie asked as he moved the rug against the tub, probably to protect his bare knees from the cold tile.

CJ nodded and looked at Sam. Both shifters waited for Sam.

After a minute, he breathed out, "Yeah... please."

Charlie flashed CJ a quick smile and then he went to work. He cleaned Sam's body, paying close attention to the wounds and bruises on his torso.

As he cleaned, CJ massaged his shoulders and neck.

By the time Charlie and CJ were finished, Sam was purring like the big cat that he was, trying to curl his body into CJ's; Charlie sat back and chuckled as he watched the older man.

CJ smiled at them both. "I think we should dry him off and tuck him into bed."

"Please," Sam whispered.

Charlie and CJ worked together to get Sam up and dried off. Toby helped them once they were in the bedroom; within a few minutes, the four of them were piled on the bed, craddling a near-sleep Sam.

CJ had started off by stroking her fingers through Sam's hair, but her hand slipped to his chest as she started to fall asleep.

####


She woke up feeling a hand on top of hers. It wasn't a threatening hand and the air was still warm and comfortable, so she opened her eyes and rolled onto her back.

Abbey Bartlet smiled at her. "Room for one more?" she asked quietly.

CJ nodded and inched away from Sam. The more dominant pard member deserved to have the space closest to the one in need of comfort, and beyond that, CJ knew that Abbey would want to make ammends with Sam.

As the older woman slid into her place, CJ yawned and stretched. Once Abbey was settled, CJ was guided into a closer position so her head rested on Abbey's bare stomach.

"Alright?" Abbey asked.

CJ smiled. "Yeah," she whispered. "Just touch Sam. He misses you."

"I know," Abbey murmured.

The leggy woman smiled more as she closed her eyes. Abbey started to purr and the vibrations lulled CJ back into sleep.



Chapter Seven



Tony shuddered as his lover's lips travelled over his spine. When those lips reached the two dimples against his lower back, he whimpered and flexed his hips so his haunches pressed up against the mouth that was slowly curving into a smile.

"Gibbs," the younger man whimpered. "Please..."

"Patience, Tony," the silver-haired man said, swatting Tony's upper thigh with one hand.

"Nuh."

Gibbs chuckled and bit into the place he had slapped. Tony yelped, but it was a playful sound. He turned his head and looked at his lover, who grinned in silent reply.

"I'm ready... just... please," Tony whispered.

He knew that Gibbs liked it when Tony begged, when he was turned completely inside out with lust and could barely think straight. Tony knew he was approaching that place, that deliriously and happily dangerous place. He rolled his hips again, and was rewarded with another little slap.

"What do you want, Tony?"

He blinked and looked over his shoulder. That was a loaded question. His mind contemplated the possibilities.

Gibbs must have sensed that thought in him, because he quickly said, "I won't do that. You know that, so stop asking."

Tony sighed. "Yeah."

Before he accepted the job at NCIS, Tony's pack life had been much different. He knew he was better off outside of Baltimore's pack; but, he had been trained so well for some activities that he couldn't not miss them once they were gone.

One of the pack dominants liked having sex while he was completely shifted, or only partially shifted---so that his human body was covered in fur and his face elongated. Many of the pack refused him like that; their human sensibilities kept them from doing many of the things that the wilder dominant craved.

But, the more submissive members of the pack---like Tony---were enticed into those behaviors. Tony had been seduced and tortured so many times by that man, so much so that the first few times that he and Gibbs were together were near failures. Gibbs was dominant, but he wasn't what he deemed to be 'sick and twisted,' and Tony didn't know the difference between the two dominant personalities.

He was getting better. It had been almost two years since he became Gibbs' second in command, and almost a year since he had become the man's lover. Gibbs tried to explain to Tony that he had been used, wired to want certain things over a period of time. Tony understood that, and the man in him believed it because it was logical.

But, there were still times when Tony knew that the wolf in him was having trouble accepting that he wouldn't be tortured like that anymore.

"Don't you worry, though," Gibbs whispered as his hand slipped between Tony's open legs and cupped him from behind. "There are some things I can do that you enjoy."

"I enjoy everything you do," Tony breathed, dropping his head down onto his pillow.

"Yeah," Gibbs agreed.

It was the truth. Tony loved everything that Gibbs did to him. He'd do anything to feel that man's hands on him.

It was quiet behind him. Tony wondered what was going on, until he felt Gibbs' erection pressing against his opening.

He shivered in delight at the thought: no preparation.

"Are you sure?" Gibbs asked.

Tony nodded eagerly, rubbing his face against the pillow that smelled of sawdust and wolf.

####


Gibbs knew that Tony had issues, when he invited him to NCIS. And yet, he hadn't cared. He was a brilliant investigator---even though he let himself get distracted sometimes.

When they formed their own little pack, Gibbs had to take notice of Tony's history. But, it wasn't until Tony became his lover that he really had to work hard to teach Tony that one can experience pain and pleasure without crossing over into anything that made Gibbs uncomfortable.

He would never shift before or during sex. He couldn't do it. He knew that Tony fantasized about being human and being tied to his lover after sex, but Gibbs would not put himself in that position.

Gibbs refused to emulate their relationship after the relationship Tony had with his previous dominant. He was a strong wolf, he had principles and morals, and he did not ever want to become the wolf that had taken over Tony when he was in Baltimore.

But, he knew how to make Tony happy.

Pushing into his lover's body, without lubrication or preparation, would be a tight fit---and it would give Tony that perfect mixture of pleasure and pain. Gibbs knew that before he saw the eager expression on the younger man's face.

He grabbed one of Tony's hips with one hand, and as his lover spread his legs out a bit to grant Gibbs better access, he took hold of his erection and positioned it at Tony's entrance.

Tony moaned quietly before he wriggled in anticipation. Gibbs squeezed his hip and then he slowly sank inside of his lover.

The younger man growled, low in his throat, and the sound vibrated through his body. Gibbs growled back and then thrust more firmly. Tony whimpered as Gibbs invaded his body; his back rolled and his hips flexed back once they were pressed against the front of Gibbs' hips.

"Like that?" Gibbs asked unnecessarily.

Tony nodded, turning his head, and making a noise that sounded like a yip when Gibbs nipped at his jaw.

Gibbs smiled and kissed the spot he had bitten. Then, he started to move.

Tony followed his lead, thrusting when he could, receiving when he had no choice. They moved together perfectly, knowing each other well enough to know how they would move in that position.

A cell phone rang, but they both ignored it.

Gibbs held off on his own climax until he reached around Tony's body, gripped his erection and started pumping it in time with his thrusts. When he changed the angle of his hips ever so slightly, Tony yelped and bucked against him; after a few repeats of those actions, Tony cried out loudly and spurted semen over Gibbs' hand.

As Tony panted for breath, Gibbs finally let his defenses down and felt the need for pleasure course through his brain. He put both of his hands on Tony's hips and thrust a few times---just enough to send him spiralling over the cliff he had thrown Tony off of minutes ago.

He growled and felt himself spasming inside of Tony; the warmth of his lover's body twitched in response and then they both fell still.

Tony tried to move, but Gibbs bit his neck---not hard enough to hurt him seriously, only hard enough to assert dominance.

"What?" Tony asked, still sounding a little breathless.

"I want to lie here for a while."

Gibbs could almost hear the smile on Tony's face.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," the older man replied.

"Thank you," Tony whispered.

Gibbs smiled and took Tony's hands in his own as they relaxed on the mattress. Tony's thumb caressed Gibbs' palm gently. Gibbs smiled again and kissed the bruised bite mark on Tony's neck. Tony gave a happy little shiver.

He knew they had to talk---about the dangers circling around their kind, about changed they would both have to make to their lifestyles, and so on---but he didn't want to ruin the moment.

So, he followed Tony's lead and closed his eyes.



Chapter Eight


Ron Butterfield looked at Leo. The Secret Service agent looked unhappy; for one of the first times since Leo met him, he couldn't tell if it was his regular neutral expression or one of unhappiness. Usually the man was easier to read. Since Leo couldn't smell fear or anger, he dismissed both emotions, but unhappiness was difficult to pick up on---even for someone with strong, wolfish senses.

"Well..." the man said. "I guess..."

"You guess what?" Leo said quickly. He didn't have much time to spend on this issue. He knew what had to be done, and he also needed to move past this so he could focus on running the government. "Special Agent Gibbs is competent. He's proven that when we had him guard Ms. Cregg. He had one of your former agents working for him. Anyone else they pick from their team will be just as competent."

Leo sighed and then added, "Protecting them, and our secret, is just as important as protecting the President."

The agent nodded. "I know that, Leo. But, we'll need to have a secure location outside of the Residence---because you can't have your kind waltzing in and out of the Presidential home at all hours of the night."

"Toby Zeigler has already offered his home. A lot of security measures are already in place," Leo explained.

Ron nodded. "That helps. I'll want to take a brief walk-through---"

"Gibbs can do that," Leo said quickly, almost dismissively.

After he and Gibbs spoke on the phone, Leo had known what should be done. He didn't want any of his colleagues---no matter how insane they drove him in the West Wing---to end up as someone's coat or rug.

Jed and Abbey had come to him, and they had reached a similar conclusion. No harm was to come to either group of shapeshifters.

Leo agreed with them, but he didn't like that it had become his job to protect them---mostly because there was extra work involved and he was already overworked enough as it currently was.

It was supposed to be the dominant's job to provide for the pack or pard. Leo was older, more traditional, but even in some of the newer groups that trend was followed. It was pack order.

He knew he could argue that he was Jed's second in command, so what Jed could not do, he would; however, there were many days when he wished he could have some help.

Once, he had gone to Jed and asked him if John Hoynes could be of some assistance. Afterall, Josh had served the former Vice President, and Amy never served anyone easily---no matter who it was... so what would it matter?

It had mattered immensely to the President. The thought of John Hoynes, back in his territory and temporarily leading his pack, was so unbearable to contemplate that the President had almost shifted in the Oval Office.

When Ron cleared his throat, Leo dropped his thoughts and returned to the present.

"Sorry, Ron."

"I know you've got a lot on your mind, Leo."

He was a good human. He was sympathetic to their problem, to keeping their secret a secret, and he didn't fear them. He spoke his mind when he had to, and he did his job of protecting the President very well. Leo didn't like strong-arming him into a decision he didn't want to make, but Leo didn't have the time to use kidd gloves and gently nudge him in that direction.

Leo looked up, over his glasses, at the man. "I really do."

"I've got a lot on mine, too."

Good point, Leo conceded silently. He smiled a bit and leaned back in his armchair.

Ron smiled back and shrugged. "I'll call Gibbs. I want him to be personally connected to me by earpiece as much as he can be. If he can't be, then Agent Todd will. If he doesn't want to follow those directions, then---"

Leo sensed that was a good compromise. He knew that Ron wouldn't want to be aware of all that went on when the shifters were congregating together---but, they were beginning to reach some common ground. Leo nodded and accepted the offer.

"Then, we'll re-evaluate," Leo interupted. "I know you want to look after the First Family."

"Agent Todd's a good profiler, but if she's busy protecting your groups, she won't have access to the wire reports or databases. I can keep an eye out from here, that way."

Leo nodded again, but it was a slower movement---not about agreement, but approval. He understood Ron's words as an offer of personal help. When Ron smiled, he knew that his words had been taken in the right way.

"Call him, Ron... set it up."

"I will," Ron agreed.

The instant the meeting was over, Margaret opened the door without knocking.

"Time to go to Budget," she said, without introductions.

Ron smiled at Leo, his moustache twitching a little. "Have fun with that, Leo."

"Let me know how the call goes," Leo said, not responding to the bait Ron dropped in front of him.

"Of course," Ron assured him.

Leo looked over at Margaret once the agent left his office. She had a clipboard under her arm, and his suit jacket in her hands, held up for him to slide into.

"I can always fire you, you know."

"I'm impervious," Margaret said.

Leo rolled his eyes. "You're somethin'," he grouched under his breath as he put the jacket on.

###


"Kate, Tony," Gibbs barked after he put the phone down. Both agents looked up from whatever they were working on, and stood up.

"Yeah, Boss?" Tony asked.

Gibbs pushed himself away from his desk, and motioned towards the stairs. "Come with me. MTAC, now."

He ignored the look of curiosity that Kate shot Tony. He refused to explain anything until the Director gave them their orders. He knew what was behind the orders, but he wanted to wait until it was an official directive.

Kate was a solitary animal for a reason. And Tony was too shy around other shifters. It had taken him a few months to come out of his shell around Ducky and Gerald.

He didn't know how either of them would react to Gibbs telling them they would be protecting a group of leopards and wolves. He wanted it to be an official order, before he brought up their real directive.

He knew that later, Kate would figure it out---the First Lady had been her pard leader, after all. But, Tony probably wouldn't. And he wanted to be the first one to bring it to his attention.

Director Morrow delivered the orders---they were being hired by the Secret Service, by Ron Butterfield under Leo McGarry's orders, because a case that Gibbs had solved under the alias of Simon Donovan held some relevance to a case they were dealing with at that particular moment---and the two inferior agents accepted them with grace.

And then Gibbs put them in the elevator and stopped the car from moving.

"You can't be serious!" Kate hissed. "They kicked me out! I can't go back---"

"The First Lady requested your presence," Gibbs said calmly. "Leo's working for her and the President right now, for this situation. They want us and Tony."

"Why?" Tony asked, sounding wary.

"Because they're all shifters, Tony," Kate said, pouting a little.

"All of them?" Tony asked.

Gibbs shook his head. "No... not all of them. Most of them. With the hunting that's going on... the White House wants them safe, because---"

"Hold on," Tony interupted in a very quiet voice, a voice that a child used when he was staying up too late or was waiting for Santa Claus to slide down the chimney. "The President's a shapeshifter?"

"A wolf," Gibbs replied.

"Whoa. And the First Lady---"

"Leopard," Kate grumbled.

"Whoa. But they have kids!" Tony exclaimed. "How... how'd they do that?"

Kate arched an eyebrow in disbelief. "Tony, I believe that you, of all people would understand how they have children."

"Why do you say it like that?" Tony asked, bristling a little at her comment. "Why me, of all people?"

"Because you drool over every skirt that walks by---"

"I do not!" Tony protested.

Gibbs groaned, closed his eyes, and prayed for patience. He could feel the energy coming off of his lover in waves; he wanted to take a hold of him, channel it into a better direction, but not in front of their colleague.

"They have one leopard and two wolves," Gibbs said as calmly as he could. "DiNozzo, Kate, both of you cool out. This isn't helping."

"I... yeah. Okay," Tony said, sounding glum.

Gibbs put his hand up and rubbed the back of Tony's neck affectionately. "Are you okay with guarding a bunch of shifters?"

"Well... I guess so. I don't know any of them. I don't know if I'll feel comfortable. But, I don't need to feel comfortable to do my job," he answered honestly.

Gibbs thought of CJ Cregg, how good she smelled, and the uneasiness that Tony instilled in him intensified. "They run the government, Tony. They're decent people."

"You protected one of them before," Tony said.

The silver haired man nodded. "Ms. Cregg."

"Press Secretary."

"Yeah," Gibbs confirmed.

"She's a... leopard?"

"Can't see her as a wolf?" Gibbs asked with a smile.

Tony smiled a bit. "Not really, no."

"They know we're not joining their packs and pards," Gibbs told them both. "They know we're just there for protection... but they won't hold that against us, okay?" Gibbs touched Tony's cheek. "There's too much going on right now. We need to stick together, look out for our kinds."

The younger man leaned into the touch a bit before he nodded. "I know. I just... things get crazy when too many shifters get together---"

"Your old pack is not like this pack," Gibbs growled, so low that he knew Kate would have to strain to hear him.

"Promise?"

"I know some of them," Gibbs said calmly, letting his hand slide down Tony's side to rest on his waist. "They're not like the wolves you're used to."

"More like you?"

"Sort of," Gibbs asked, smiling a little. "They weren't Marines."

"Mr. McGarry was in the Air Force, though... if that helps you any," Kate added quietly.

Tony smiled at her. "Well... maybe it won't be so bad," he conceded.

"Let's go down and tell the cats downstairs," Gibbs suggested. "Then, we'll start putting the op together."

Tony agreed and put his hand over Gibbs' for a simple squeeze.



Chapter Nine


"Leopold," CJ purred as she caught up to the shorter, older man in the hallway. "May I walk with you?"

"I just got out of a budget meeting," Leo said gruffly. "You sure you wanna do that?"

CJ grinned. "I'll take my chances."

"Whaddya got for me?"

"There were some questions about the budget meeting, but we have a senior staff meeting in a couple of hours, before my next briefing, so I guess we'll jump off that bridge later," she said, glancing down at her clipboard. "And The Times wants to know why Hoynes is in town... I told them we don't comment on his personal life, but if he's been in touch with the First Lady---"

Leo sighed. CJ knew why he was sighing, but she ignored it. The Vice President had been married to a very nice (and completely human) woman, but he had been CJ's mate in every sense of the word for their kind. Needless to say, no one approved of their relationship.

She wanted to know why he was back. He hadn't made contact with her; hearing he was back brought an ache into her heart that she hadn't experienced since his resignation.

"If she wants you to know, she'll tell you."

CJ looked back at her clipboard and she ignored his response. She sucked in a sharp breath and continued talking. "They have questions about the speech, and I know you're going to tell me to talk to Toby, but since you brought the cavalry in to fortify his mate's dreamhome, he's been more prickly than usual and I thought---"

"You can talk to him. What else?"

"Sam wants ten minutes with you later."

"He can make those appointments."

CJ sighed. "Yeah, but..."

Leo looked up at her for a minute. "He's scared of me?"

"I think he's just trying to find his new footing," CJ admitted.

The older man nodded. "Okay. I'll talk to him later."

"Talk, Leo. No dom games."

Leo smiled. "You think I'd rough him up?"

"No, but I think you'd like to have a little fun with him first," she said honestly, since she knew both male shifters very well. When Leo smiled, she smiled back. "He'd like it, too, but he's on shaky ground right now, so---"

"Yeah, yeah," Leo agreed. "I'll go talk to him."

"Great. And, the chick from MSNBC..."

CJ stopped talking. She saw a flash of silver hair and the sight caught the attention of her other senses. Sight and sound were both focused down the hall, where the flash had been, and scent soon followed.

"CJ?" Leo asked. "Claudia Jean?"

"Is that..."

The man turned. He was talking with a man... someone he trusted, she gathered by the way their heads were close, and their bodies relaxed in close proximity.

When the man turned his head towards CJ, she saw that it was in fact the man she thought to be dead.

His icy blue eyes focused upon hers, and even from the other end of the hall, she felt their pull. She swayed on her feet for a moment, before everything went dark around her.

###


She could smell wolf. It wasn't Leo. It wasn't the President. It wasn't Josh or Amy. She whimpered and rubbed her face in the smell, trying to figure out who it belonged to.

"Ms. Cregg... I know you're awake."

Hearing that voice again in her ear made her sit up too quickly. Her eyes were wide and she looked back at him.

"Simon? How..."

"My real name is Jethro Gibbs," he said quietly, ducking his head a little. "Call me Gibbs... hell, Simon if you want."

"Agent Sunshine?"

"Special Agent Sunshine, sure," he agreed, lifting his head and smiling.

She smiled shakily for a moment before bursting into tears. "Ron... he told me that you... and I... how are you... I mean, I never see you---"

"I work with NCIS," he interupted gently. "I've seen you a few times, but I hid."

Her face fell. "Why?" she asked in a whisper.

"Part of the job, Ms. Cregg," he murmured.

She whimpered and looked away. She felt him inch closer. When he pressed his chest against her back, she shivered; his warmth had a chilling effect on her, mostly because she had believed he was dead. Having him against her body was eerie---enjoying the feeling was also very eerie.

"I mourned you," she whispered. "I went to a funeral!"

Gibbs nuzzled the back of her neck. "I know. Ron told me."

"You bastard."

"That's what the second 'B' stands for," he said in an amused tone of voice. He rubbed her arms and kissed the top of her head. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I know it doesn't count for much, but it's true."

CJ sighed and turned into him, so her face was pressed against his neck. She inhaled deeply; he still smelled the same as he always had when he was protecting her against the stalker. But, there was something else covering him, as well.

"I have a mate."

She paused and looked up at him. "I did once," she murmured sadly. "He was sent away."

"Mr. Seaborn?" Gibbs inquired.

She shook her head. "No... someone else." She shrugged. "Fidelty wasn't our strong suit, though."

"Well, we're trying it out," Gibbs said as he nodded and leaned in to sniff her. She shivered as puffs of air ghosted her neck.

"It's that man you were talking to," she said quietly. "Your mate?"

"Yes."

"Not much productive mating going on there," she whispered.

Gibbs smiled. "So, mate, lover... it's all semantics."

"Not really."

"You aren't so traditional," he commented. "Why are you traditional about those differences?"

"And you're very traditional," she countered. "So why aren't you traditional about those differences?"

Gibbs smiled. CJ felt her heart ache. That ache wasn't 'John is gone; my mate was sent away; I miss him so much,' nor was it 'one of my best friends left.' That particular ache was 'he is alive and all I want to do is wrap myself up in him, but he isn't free to touch that way,' and CJ hated herself for feeling it.

"I'm glad you haven't changed much," Gibbs admitted. He sighed. "And then... I'm sad about it, too."

Gibbs sighed and nuzzled her temple. CJ huffed happily as she felt her system calming down; gentle touch always calmed her down.

"I'm sad, too," she whispered. "But, I'm very glad you're still alive."

"Me, too."

CJ pulled her head back from his and looked into his eyes, before grinning and chuckling. Gibbs smiled back at her.

"NCIS?" she asked.

He nodded. "I used to be a Marine. I... I found I liked solving cases."

"My situation was a case related to the Navy?"

Gibbs nodded again. "Agent Butterfield let me take the lead, as a personal favour."

"It wasn't shifter related?"

He shook his head. "No, just a former petty officer with an obsession with beautiful, powerful women."

CJ felt her cheeks heat up at his answer. "Oh. So... he thought I was..."

"You are," Gibbs corrected when she trailed off. "You always are."

"Thank you," CJ murmured. She reached up and rubbed her hand against Gibbs' neck. Part of her wanted it to be sexual; another part of her just wanted to be reassured that he was still alive.

"You're welcome."

"Call me CJ. You're not ma'am-ing me," she teased.

Gibbs smiled and shook his head as a small chuckle escaped his throat. "No," he said. "This time, I'm only a shapeshifter---I'm not Secret Service. And, I remember how opposed you were to that the last time."

"Good," she replied. She sighed when he took her hand and held it over her chest. She wondered if he was reassuring her that he was alive, by letting her feel his heart beating against his ribs.

She tilted her head and looked him over. "How is this detail going to work?"

"I'd rather discuss this with my team and all of you present."

CJ shook her head. "You won't get them all together... and this way, I can break the news to Toby without him challenging you to anything."

Gibbs smiled. "You know your friend well."

"We've known each other for years," CJ explained with a casual shrug. "I can handle him without him feeling like he's been handled. If you three barge into his home tonight and tell him what he can and can't do..."

The silver haired man bowed his head and nodded. "Yeah. Okay."

"Plus, it's either stay here with you or go out there and talk about budgets and Vice Presidents and... god, don't make me go back out there," she said, a desperate tone in her voice while a smile lingered on her face.

With a little smile, Gibbs said, "Alright. We'll stay in here and hide."

"So, what's the deal, Special Agent Sunshine?"

He laughed. "Well, we're going to take a room in Mr. Zeigler's house," he said after the laughter faded away. "Set up surveillance... Tony, Kate, and I will alternate between here and the house, on a shift rotation. Someone will take you guys to work in the morning, bring you back at the end of the night."

CJ raised an eyebrow. "And that won't be annoying?" she asked. "We work at the White House and the Capitol---"

"We'll deal with it," he interupted. "We'll get a van or something."

She nodded. "Okay... what else?"

"Your after-work activities will be limited drastically for the time being."

CJ snorted. "What after-work activities?" she asked in a dry voice.

Gibbs chuckled. "Good point."

"No one will go anywhere alone," Gibbs continued. "You'll all have panic buttons. That'll be tricky, getting everyone rounded up so they can have the buttons passed out... but, I'm hoping between the President and First Lady, enough bases will be covered."

CJ nodded again. "That won't be so bad."

"One of the hardest things will be co-habitating," Gibbs pointed out. "I'm guessing most of the wolves that work here will be welcomed into the Residence, but there will probably be a few outsiders that will need to crash at the house. Tony and I will be there to support them, to act as pack members... but the friction will be tough on everyone."

CJ agreed. Even in the workplace, with their occupational roles to hide behind, the wolves still clashed with the leopards. Josh and CJ nearly came to blows at least once a month, and they always managed to have smaller fights in between those; Leo and the First Lady didn't get along very well in certain situations; the President and Vice President Hoynes never got along; even the President and the First Lady had some extraordinary arguments.

The two species of shapeshifters had their differences: fidelity, group order, thought process, behavior... the list went on and on.

"Yeah," CJ agreed.

"I don't want any of our people to end up as someone's coat," Gibbs said. "The underground fur market is growing. They're going to come here. Hunters won't care that this is the capital."

When CJ started to curl up, feeling cold at Gibbs' words, Gibbs moved behind her and put his arms around her.

"I protected you the last time," he promised. "I'll protect you this time."

"We're not the same kind," she whispered.

"That doesn't mean I can't protect you," he said in a low voice.

"You want to protect me?"

He nodded and then nuzzled the back of her neck.

"Why?" CJ croaked.

He shrugged against her. "Because... we're all being hunted. Because... okay?"

She opened her mouth to speak but as she did, Gibbs reached down and bit into her neck from behind. CJ fell still and then relaxed in his arms, because that bite in that place meant that she needed to be still.

"You want us all to be safe."

He nodded. "Yeah. Why is that so hard to believe?"

She sighed. "I don't know. It shouldn't be... Leo would do anything for any of us, wolf or leopard."

"He would. That's why he asked for help."

"He asked?" CJ inquired. "Nicely?"

Gibbs smiled against the skin of CJ's neck. "When has Leo McGarry ever asked nicely?"

"I've heard rumours of it," CJ joked.

"Interesting."

CJ laughed softly and then closed her eyes. Gibbs tightened his hold on her; in that moment, she felt safe and secure, and she believed that he would keep her safe.



Chapter Ten


Sam Seaborn gaped as he looked at the house. "Wow, Toby... this is just... it's incredible," he murmured, to his friend who was standing next to him with his hands shoved in his pockets. "This house is amazing."

"It'd be better if it wasn't shapeshifter central," Toby grumbled.

The younger man put his hand on his friend's shoulder for a light squeeze. "You're doing a very nice thing," Sam said quietly. "I think it's a big enough good deed to last you for the next few years."

"Me, too," Toby agreed. He put one of his hands on Sam's back and rubbed gently. Sam purred a little and said, "Wanna go get a drink?" At Toby's pointed glare, he added, "And by go, I mean, to the kitchen for the booze and then wherever we can go to hopefully hide from the others?"

Toby's beard twitched. "Good thinking, Sam."

Sam smiled brightly. Hearing Toby say that always made his stomach tighten a little, made his cheeks flush a bit. It didn't matter if it was about a speech he had written, or about evening plans. When Toby praised him, Sam felt so good---he almost purred.

They were seated in the kitchen, when Andy came in with two babies in her arms. Neither twin looked very happy; in fact, Sam identified that expression as 'cranky and sleep deprived.'

"Toby, can you take one of them?" Andy asked.

Toby set his tumbler down and opened his arms. "Sure."

Sam smiled. "I'll take one of them, Andy, if you want a break."

He wanted to be useful. Being back in Washington was wonderful---and being in Toby's house with Andy and CJ, before the others started showing up, had been even better. Sam felt safe and secure, and he wanted to keep on feeling safe and secure. He didn't want Andy and Toby to get sick of having him around; he wanted to make CJ happy; he wanted to be wanted.

Andy smiled at Sam. "Thank you," she murmured as she slipped Molly into Toby's arms and then Huck into Sam's arms. "I really appreciate this guys."

"No problem," Sam replied. "I like the twins."

Andy ruffled Sam's shaggy hair and smiled at him. "They like you, too."

Toby looked at the redhead. "What woke them up?"

"Amy shifted in the bathroom. She and Josh were having a fight. Lots of yelling... and then, lots of growling," Andy explained.

Toby growled under his breath. Andy smiled and tweaked his chin.

"And then one of the agents got involved... Tony?"

"The one dating Simon?" Sam asked.

"Gibbs," Toby corrected.

"Who used to be Simon, though."

Toby nodded.

Sam shrugged. "Well, what difference does it make?"

Andy chuckled as Toby shrugged and focused his attention on Molly.

Huck made a small noise and then rubbed his face into Sam's t-shirt. Sam smiled when he realised the baby boy had started to purr. It wasn't low and rumbling like his father's purr; instead, it was at a higher pitch, and almost at a faster pace.

"Well, he definitely doesn't mind being around you," Andy said as she sat down at the table, opposite Toby and next to Sam. She smiled and reached out to brush her fingers through Huck's sparse, dark hair.

"When do you think... when do you think they'll change?"

Sam hadn't changed into a leopard until he was twenty-two. He didn't know if his parents were shapeshifters, and he never had the courage to ask them. They never behaved like a pard. Looking back on his life, he could see a few moments where his father showed leopard-like characteristics, but he didn't think it was enough. He knew he was biologically related to his parents, but he often wondered if the shapeshifting genes could skip generations.

Because he hadn't known about his condition, he had been alone during his first shifting.

He had been terrified and there was so much rage and ferocity inside of him that it felt unnatural. He had paced his small apartment for hours, feeling like a caged animal, before his fur broke free of his skin and he shifted into a fawn coloured feline with spots in his markings.

Being a cat hadn't taken his mind away, but there were other wants and needs that he was suddenly aware of. When he finally figured out how to reform his body into its human shape, he felt that those wants and needs didn't go away. His anger---what had started it all in the first place---had faded, though, and from then on, he feared the change.

He wondered, after looking at Huck, what it would have felt like if he had been in a family that was a pard, if he was taught how to shift in a natural, safe environment. Huck and Molly would have that---they had it at that moment, Sam realised, as he thought about how CJ lived there, too. Those twins would learn how to manage their animal sides, they wouldn't be afraid of themselves.

Andy broke Sam from his thoughts. "I think... probably in a year or so," she told him. She shrugged. "Who knows though. This environment isn't very stable right now."

"Oh..." a young voice said from the doorway. "They are so cute! Aunt CJ was right!"

Sam turned and saw a slender, tall blonde teenager walk in alongside his slender, tall friend. Hogan Cregg was growing up fast.

"Well, of course she was right," Andy said with a grin. "Wait until you see the scowl Huck does," she added. "He looks just like his father."

Hogan grinned back at the redhead and she approached for a hug. The women embraced and then both Toby and Sam received cheek kisses from the teenager.

Toby smiled at her. "How's school?"

"Fine. Boring."

CJ raised an eyebrow. "Hogan..."

Hogan sighed. "Okay... I got suspended for a few days." When Sam saw Toby's jaw drop, the young girl quickly added: "But, it wasn't my fault! Jenna Thompson came into school wearing a fur coat! And it wasn't fox or mink or those furry little mousey things, either." She sighed again. "I lost it. Didn't shift. But, I knocked her around pretty good."

CJ stepped up behind her niece and rubbed her shoulder. "It's okay. I would've done the same thing."

"I wanted to burn the coat," Hogan admitted glumly.

CJ nodded and kissed the top of Hogan's head---since the teenage wasn't too tall for that yet. "You won't end up like one of those coats," she whispered. "I promise."

"I know," Hogan murmured. "I'm not scared."

Sam shared a knowing look with CJ. The girl was scared. The four adult shapeshifters could smell her fear---it was rolling off of Hogan in waves. CJ didn't correct her niece. Instead, she hugged the teenage close and nuzzled her temple gently.

"It's okay if you are," CJ whispered. "So, don't worry about it."

Hogan nodded into CJ's shoulder. "Okay, Aunt CJ," she whispered back.

"Besides, Special Agent Sunshine's here to watch over us."

Hogan chuckled a little. "Okay."

CJ smiled and kissed the top of her head again. "Now... do you want something to eat?" she asked. "The agents stocked the house with tons of food."

"I'm okay."

Andy leaned forward and touched Hogan's arm. "I can make some tea, honey, if you'd like."

"I can do it," Hogan told her as she pulled out of CJ's arms. "Aunt CJ, do you want tea?"

"Sure," CJ agreed. "I'll have some."

"Me, too, please," Sam said quickly.

"Make Toby a cup, too," CJ called out once Hogan was filling the kettle with water.

The adults sat down at the table as Hogan waited for the water to boil. She served them all cups of tea, and then she joined them at the table.

"Amy's a loud shifter," Hogan commented idly.

The adults started laughing. Hogan smiled and sipped her tea.

###


They had been on their second cup of tea when the doorbell was pushed in and held down for a few seconds.

Hogan had jumped up, and Sam and CJ both tugged her back down into her chair.

"What?"

Gibbs, plus the man that had been introduced to Sam as Tony, headed through the kitchen, to the foyer and front door.

The look of shock on Hogan's face made Sam smile. He knew CJ had told her that 'Simon Donovan' was still alive, but seeing him was always more effective than hearing about him.

"You let us answer the door, Hogan," Gibbs barked roughly as Tony peeked through the window.

Tony, much to the disapproval of Gibbs, opened the door quickly. There was a loud growl from outside and then Toby got up, put Molly in Andy's arms, and hurried out to the door.

"Back up," Toby growled at Tony.

Sam saw a big, black cat lying on the stoop. There was blood, but he couldn't tell where it was from. The coppery scent filled the air.

CJ jumped up, too, and rushed out after Toby.

"Get her in here," CJ pleaded to Gibbs.

Sam's brow wrinkled. He looked at Andy, trying to understand; Andy's eyes were wide with shock, and her pale skin was even paler.

"Who..."

"Ann," Andy whispered. "Sam, help me put the twins upstairs, okay?"

Sam nodded and numbly followed Andy upstairs.

By the time they stepped out of the twins' room, Gibbs and Tony were carrying the black cat into a spare bedroom. Andy touched Sam's arm and pulled him into the room after CJ and Toby.

"She needs to stay shifted," Tony said quietly.

"We know," CJ growled. "Thank you for bringing her up, but now we have to take care of our own."

"CJ..." Gibbs said in a warning tone of voice.

She glared at him. "What? You can't help us... you're guarding the house. We have to take care of her."

Gibbs nodded. "I know. But, we can still---"

Sam saw the look in CJ's eyes. It gave him the chills. That look was the ruthless look he had seen in Abbey's eyes, in Hoynes' eyes... in the eyes of his pard leader in Los Angeles. She hadn't mastered it, but the raw power and the determination were there; Sam sensed the power and he dropped down to his knees in front of the bed.

CJ put her hand in his hair and massaged his head. He closed his eyes and rubbed his face against her legs. She smelled like home.

"Let me know how she's doing," Gibbs said. "After an hour, CJ."

"Yeah," she agreed, her voice back to its usual soft tone. "I will. I promise."

Sam heard the two agents walk out of the room. They all heard Tony complaining---"What a hardass she is, Boss! You'd think she'd accept a little extra body heat! What is this, racial discrim---"---before there was a sound of hand slapping head. Tony gave a little moan, and then their footsteps travelled down the hall.

CJ sighed. "I hate to ask... but if a couple of you can shift..."

Sam volunteered immediately. CJ couldn't shift, because there was always a possibility of having to return to the White House and giving a briefing.

Andy volunteered, too. She smiled at CJ. "I'll do it," she said quietly. "If Toby needs help with the twins, you'll---"

"God, yeah," CJ agreed quickly. "They're no problem. I just... if Leo calls and---"

"I know," Andy interupted. She looked at Sam. "Let's go into the bathroom," she said. "The big one across the hall."

Toby cleared his throat. "I'll rinse the stall off once you guys are done."

"Thanks, Pokey," Andy said with a smile.

Toby's beard twitched. CJ smiled. Andy and Sam walked into the bathroom.

It always took Sam a few moments to gather himself up enough to change. He rarely focused on one thing at one time---being a lawyer and a government employee for so long rarely gave him the luxury to only think about one topic at a time---so it took him a little while to center himself enough to initiate the change willingly.

It hadn't taken Andy long at all to change. She undressed, walked into the shower, and before Sam knew it, her skin was splitting to reveal fur and that slimy substance was coating the tiled walls of the stall.

Andy was a beautiful auburn leopard, with darker brown rosettes that had hints of white in their middles. She was smooth, sleek lines, but rich red-toned colours with starkly contrasting highlights.

She shook her body out, even though she didn't have to because the change never left them wet or gooey, for some reason. Then, she licked her jowls, peeked up at Sam, and stalked out of the shower.

She sat on her haunches and waited.

Sam sucked in a sharp breath as he undressed. When he was in the shower, he took a slow, dull, deep breath and tried to concentrate.

Andy yawned. He opened his eyes and glared at her. "I can't concentrate," he told her. "I have attention issues."

The big auburn cat looked up at him with her big dark eyes. Even with fur and whiskers, Sam could still read impatience across her face.

Andy flicked her tail.

Sam sighed and closed his eyes. He tried to tune Andy out and tried to focus on his insides, on his inner beast, so he could bring it to the outside.

He felt the bones shifting and popping and the muscles changing to fit the new skeletal structure. He shivered at the pops and cracks, but didn't stop. Stopping would end in disaster. He pushed through it, and soon he felt the white and grey fur brushing against his insides and then splitting through his human skin.

He made a soft noise in his throat as he stepped through the wet floor and walked to Andy. They rubbed heads, winded their bodies against each other, and purred; they scented each other, recognised each other as their own kind, their own pard.

They returned to the bedroom and rubbed themselves against CJ and Toby before they jumped up on the bed with the sleeping, bandaged Ann Stark in animal form.

"She'll be okay," they heard Toby whisper to CJ, before they curled up and fell asleep against the black cat.

###


He was still a cat when Ann changed back into a woman. She whimpered and then started to cry. Andy was already rubbing her head against Ann's side; Sam followed her lead.

Ann swatted them both away. "Toby... CJ... I need to tell... god---" she whimpered as she sat up, fluid sliding off of her skin. She didn't bother shielding her body; she sat up and cried.

CJ came first. She inched towards Ann and kissed the blonde's forehead.

"What happened?" CJ asked. "Do you remember---"

"John and I were out in the... in the park. Rock Creek," Ann said quickly. Her voice was shaking. "We were running around in the dark and having fun and we didn't notice---"

Sam looked at CJ. The tall woman's calm expression was broken. First by jealousy, and then by fear.

"Is John dead?" Toby asked, when CJ couldn't put the question together.

The blonde shrugged. "I don't know, Toby. I don't know. He was stronger, faster than me, but the one after him had a tranquilizer gun. It didn't smell of metal as it flew past me. He got the guy with the knife to back off, but---"

The description of events wasn't making too much sense. Ann must have known that because she stopped talking and resumed crying.

"How long ago were you attacked?" Toby asked.

Sam saw him rise to his feet. The tension in the air wasn't all Ann's anymore. CJ's breathing had changed and she was trembling slightly.

"Ann. How long ago were you attacked!?"

"We met up around eleven."

"Eleven?!" CJ cried out. "God, Ann, were you trying to get caught?"

"We like the rush! We need to be animals sometimes, CJ!" Ann cried back, sounding angry. "We like stalking through the trees and shadows!"

"And that behavior probably killed John!" CJ hollered.

Sam jumped off the bed. He didn't like how CJ's body was tensing and hardening. He saw her prepare like that once before, and she ended up launching herself at Josh---he didn't know why. Even though they only fought in human form, the deputy chief of staff had been walking awkwardly for a week.

Andy followed his lead, but she remained closer. She turned her head and looked at Sam and then Toby, before running out of the room. Sam padded closer to the bed, taking her space.

If CJ challenged Ann, Sam knew she would win.

Ann and CJ were a lot alike. Sam remembered them working together once, for a White House breakfast, and the tug of war for power had only been ressolved once Toby metaphorically knocked CJ's legs out from under her.

While Ann was cunning and ferocious, she lacked the gentler emotions that CJ had. Those emotions drove her to protect her family and friends, her beliefs, and people who couldn't protect themselves. She would do anything for love---romantic or familial.

CJ loved Hoynes. Ann only wanted him (and power) for her own.

"Stop." Sam turned his grey eyes to Toby, who had moved closer to the bed. "This isn't helping."

Gibbs came into the room, Tony at his heels. Sam regarded them with his cool, pale eyes for a moment, sized them up as non-threats, and then jumped onto the bed. He put his body between Ann and CJ.

"Is this... Sam?" Ann asked quietly, as she patted the snow leopard's back. Sam curled his tail up. He was happy that some of the tension had dissipated.

CJ didn't move. She was still too tense. Toby told Ann that it was.

"Someone tell me what the hell is going on," Gibbs barked.

Sam turned his head and growled. They might not have been threats, but they were wolves and their presence was stressing CJ out more.

"Can it," Gibbs growled back.

"Don't talk to him that way," CJ growled.

"You want to fight me, CJ?" Gibbs asked. "If you want, hell, I'll change right now and we can go into the backyard and tear each other apart, limb from limb. But that isn't going to find your friend."

CJ paled. Sam dropped his haunches, then body, down; in a flash, he was holding her down by lounging across her lap. He felt her hands in his fur, stroking until her arms gave out and she was hugging Sam.

When she started to cry, Toby glared at Gibbs. "He's not her friend."

Sam craned his neck and saw Gibbs' expression harden. He understood. Not a stupid mutt afterall, Sam thought to himself.

"CJ needs to lie down," Toby said. "Can you move her to our room?"

"Give me a second," Gibbs said. He turned to Tony. "You need to wake Kate up and secure the house. Can you do that alone?"

Tony nodded. "Sure. I'll go up and check the cameras, too, make sure no one's casing the place out.

"Pull all the black-out curtains when you're finished," Gibbs said. He touched Tony's arm. "Be careful, okay?"

"On it, Boss," Tony said with a little smile.

Gibbs nodded, kissed Tony's cheek, and then moved to the bed. Sam hopped off of the woman as Gibbs unfolded her and picked her up. Toby gave Ann a long look, and then he and Sam followed Gibbs out of the room.

Cleaning the bed would have to wait until later.



Chapter Eleven


CJ cried against the warm body next to her. She hung onto his bare shoulders and she cried until she couldn't cry anymore.

"Shhh... CJ... it's okay. I got out."

She pressed her lips over the tiny puncture wound on his neck, a wound left by a flying dart.

"It's okay. Just a little cut."

She looked up into John's eyes. "When Ann told me what happened..."

"I know," he murmured, a little smile appearing on his face. "You almost ripped her apart."

"And I am furious with you."

John arched an eyebrow. "Jealous of Ann?"

"No... furious with you, you egomaniacal idiot!" CJ spat. "You just had to go out and change and be a big cat in a public park, didn't you?"

"I was bored," he said. "Abbey called me back, but I was just sitting around... waiting."

"Why didn't you---"

"She forbade me to see you. She said nothing about going out with Ann for a few minu---"

CJ growled. "I'll kill her."

John chuckled and hugged the naked woman to his body. "No, you won't. You'll lie here with me and warm me up, and forget about everything else going on around us."

"Oh... will I?"

He nodded. "You will."

"I can't believe you followed orders."

John smiled. "Stop talking for a second," he whispered.

She sniffled and looked up at him. He smiled more and then leaned up and kissed her. When he pulled away, CJ followed him down to the mattress for more.

After a few painfully long kisses, CJ started rubbing her face against his cheek. She spread her body out over his and caressed his bruised skin. She wanted her scent all over him, and she didn't care about anything else in that moment.

"I didn't sleep with her."

CJ wanted to smile and laugh and reward John with more kisses and sweet, whispered promises. She wanted to be a complete girl about his admission. She couldn't, though. There would always be reasons for stepping outside of a relationship---power, comfort, strength, relaxation, and so on---and promises only hurt people when they were broken.

"We never promised each other fidelity," CJ said cooly. "It wouldn't have been practical. We don't mate for life---"

"I know," John said. "But, I know you don't like her."

"Would you sleep with Ellie or Andy?"

"If it was the right moment... if we wanted or needed to," John replied. He touched the tip of CJ's nose. "But, I would come back to you."

"Even if the First Lady forbade it?"

"I knew I'd see you again, CJ."

She sighed and dropped her head to his chest. She felt him put his chin on top of her head.

"I missed you."

"I missed you, too," John whispered. "Thank you for sending people out to find me."

CJ lifted her head and kissed his lips. "Do you need anything?" she asked. "Blankets, bodies... food, water?"

"Later," John said as he growled softly and nipped at her throat. She relaxed and he rolled them onto their sides.

CJ wrapped her arms around him, rubbed her hands over his back, and buried her face in his neck. She inhaled deeply.

Two men were taken from her. She didn't have a claim to one of them, so he would not be a part of her life after these threats were eradicated; but she had a claim to the one in her arms, and she silently promised that she would never let him go. Even if she was ordered to, she knew she wouldn't be able to walk away from him.

John kissed her head and rubbed her back. His arm was sore, and yet he moved it. CJ smiled against his skin and then put her hand over his arm and slowed the movement.

"You don't have to do that," she whispered.

"I want to touch you," he whispered back. "So, let me."

She smiled and nodded. "Okay," she replied. "But, your recovery will be slower."

"Don't care," he told her. "You're here in my arms."

###


"Jethro," Ducky said, his face very serious. "I cannot move. My mother---"

"She doesn't change anymore," Gibbs said. "She's not threatened. Hire a nurse and have them watch over her and the dogs. You are, though, Ducky. You and Gerald and Abby could be hunted down!"

Abby looked around the autopsy room. "I... I don't like it," she said quietly. "But, I'll go if you think it's best."

"Thank you, Abby."

Gerald looked at his partner. "I have friends in nursing... I'll make some calls in the next hour."

Ducky frowned. "I cannot justify leaving her at home---" he stopped short and sighed. "I know if we bring her with us, she will endanger the others. I know. I do not want to leave her."

Abby stepped forward and caught Gibbs' gaze. "The others are okay with us coming over?"

He nodded. It had taken some long conversation over a bottle of scotch, but Toby had finally given in and allowed him safe passage for his colleagues.

Words from the President and First Lady had also helped Toby make his decision.

The President, on speakerphone, had gone into a long rant about how there used to be millions of shapeshifters of different species around the world, and how over time, they were either killed or they died off. Thousands remained; they were scattered around the world. It was odd that such a large handful lived near the capital, but not odd that they had grouped together in specific locations.

The First Lady, on the same line and on the same speakerphone, pointed out that since they had already grouped together on the job, they should group together in life. Not necessarily in the example she and her husband had made, but at least as friends and a very odd, furry family. It would be the only way they would be able to protect themselves.

Gibbs believed her. He could have done without the history lesson, but he did believe her.

Gerald touched Ducky's shoulder and then he walked over to the phone and started his search for a nurse for Mrs. Mallard.

Gibbs looked at Abby. "I'll take you guys to your homes so you can each pack a bag. Then, we go."

"What about work?" Abby asked.

"We have a carpool system in place to get the others to their jobs," he told her. "One more stop won't make a difference."

She nodded. Then, she smiled and hugged him. "Thank you for looking out for us," she whispered.

Gibbs smiled and kissed the top of her head. "I always will."

"I know," she murmured.

###


When John first thrust inside of her, it took all of CJ's strength to remember to breathe. All she could think was that he was home, he was with her, and nothing had ever felt so good in such a long time.

He stilled; then he brushed his lips over hers and then trailed them down her neck. CJ whimpered and rolled her hips in hopes of getting him to start moving, but he couldn't be that easily coerced.

Much to CJ's frustration, John took his time. He seemed to be mapping out her body, cataloguing what touch evoked a specific physical reaction, until she was trembling all over.

"Please, John," she whispered.

He kissed her lips in reply and then slowly started moving his hips. CJ purred in reponse and started moving with him.

She bit at his neck, catching some flesh between her teeth; he growled and stilled. She released him and looked up at him through her lashes.

"Torment," he growled, before capturing her lips in another kiss. "You know, I can play this game, too."

CJ smiled against his mouth. "I know," she murmured. "I want you to play."

John grunted and dropped his head to her neck. CJ laughed as he licked and tasted her skin. It tickled and she loved it. Before she stopped squirming, he pressed his teeth into that skin. CJ gasped loudly and then moaned. Her eyes fell closed and she arched against him.

"God, yes," she panted. "More, harder... John!"

John obliged her. He sped up the rhythm he set with his hips and CJ opened her legs wider for him. She followed his movements and hung on to his shoulders and back.

When her nails flexed into him, he moved his hips a little differently. CJ guessed it was at a different angle because his body lifted away from hers.

Feeling his erection hit her cervix made her scream. He brought her over the edge, screaming and then crying as the sensations lessened.

He barely gave her a rest before he dropped his mouth to her neck, and bit that same spot a second time. CJ whimpered and writhed underneath him. She didn't want those feelings to ever end.

They did eventually end, though. CJ loved the way John colapsed on top of her, his body slick with sweat and vibrating slightly from over-exertion.

She threaded his fingers through his hair and hummed happily.

"I love how you fit inside of me," she whispered.

"Mmm... I know you do."

"Egomaniac."

John laughed into her neck and shoulder. CJ smiled and kissed his temple. It felt so good to have him back in her arms.

###


CJ and John were still cuddling in bed when Toby knocked on the door. CJ told him to come in; he did, casting a dirty look at both of them when he stepped inside.

"The whole house knows what you two were doing," Toby stated.

"So?" CJ asked with a lazy smile.

"We can smell it everywhere."

"So?" she repeated, the smile stretching into a cheshire grin.

Toby rubbed his bald head and paced a little. "So?" he asked, before chuckling. "God, have you no decency?"

"We're animals," John said quietly. "Since when do animals care about who knows they're mating? Hell, leopards in the wild can mate---"

"I know the impressive statistics, John," Toby interupted. "Tons of sex, through the whole cycle. However, we are in a house full of shapeshifters and your horomones are driving us crazy."

CJ was still grinning. "So... go crazy."

"We have new people here."

"New people?" John asked.

Toby nodded. "Gibbs brought his people here. Amy dropped this..." he trailed off and started chuckling. "You have to come down and see her, CJ. Just stand beside her for me."

"Is she a dwarf?" CJ asked.

He laughed more. "No... god no. She's just... shorter than you."

CJ smiled and shook her head, rolling her eyes a little. "We'll be down soon, okay?"

"And change the sheets before we come up here to sleep."

CJ purred for a moment and then looked at him. "But, what if we want to drive you crazy later with my horomonal prowess?"

"God, woman!" Toby cried out. "Have you no restraint?"

"Not after a seriously wholesome hour with John," CJ purred as she wrapped her arms around her mate's body.

John laughed softly and kissed her cheek, before turning to Toby. "Don't worry, Toby," he said. "I'll change the sheets." When he turned and looked at CJ, she pouted. He smiled and brought a finger up to tease her lower lip. "Sam won't like it either," he reminded her. "That bite on your neck is enough."

She smiled and kissed the bridge of his nose.

Toby sighed. "You two are coming, right?"

"We already did that."

Toby growled. CJ laughed.

After a minute under his dark, stormy glare, she caved in. "Yes, Pokey, we'll be down in a few minutes. Just let us find some robes."

"Behind the door in the closet," Toby said as he turned and opened the door to exit.

CJ waited until the door was closed again, with Toby in the hallway, and then she turned and smiled at John. "You like the bite?" she asked.

He smiled and nodded. "I do."

"Neanderthal."

"And an egomaniac," he said in a light voice. "How is it possible?"

She laughed softly and he kissed her lips before tickling her sides. She squirmed and squealed, before getting into the game herself, and returning the torture.

###


They were greeted with a muttered 'finally' from Toby, a purr and a gentle pounce from Sam, who was still a white-with-grey-rosettes leopard, and a chorus of 'hello' from everyone else in the living room.

CJ didn't blush, much to her own surprise. She sat down on an ottoman while John took the chair behind her. Sam came over and gently headbutted her. She smiled and brought her hands up to pet him.

As she did, Gibbs came into the room. "Finally," he said with a little smile.

CJ rolled her eyes. "I'm not going to apologise, so you can all just... deal with it."

"Good for you."

She turned to see who had spoken, since she didn't recognise the voice. A young woman, dressed in a spiked collar, red plaid dress, and combat boots, with black hair tied back in pigtails, grinned at her.

"I'm Abby," she said without any hesitation. She got up off of the sofa, where she sat between Tony and Kate, Gibbs' colleagues, and she kneeled down next to Sam.

CJ looked at Gibbs and then turned to John. John smiled and rubbed CJ's shoulder in response, which wasn't really an answer to the question CJ wanted to ask. Andy, on the other hand, looked very amused with the young woman; Toby looked amused with Andy. Neither of them were any help.

Abby glanced up at CJ. Confusion must have been written over her face because the black-haired woman smiled a bit and said, "I just want to make it clear that I'm no threat to you and yours."

CJ smiled finally. "I'm CJ," she said warmly. She extended her hand for shaking. Abby accepted it, shook it, and then she rubbed her face over it. "You don't need to---"

"I know."

"Thanks," CJ murmured, her voice becoming softer. "This is John," she added, gesturing over her shoulder.

"Mr. Vice President," Abby said, smiling.

"Don't call me that," John scolded with a smile. "John is fine."

Gibbs cleared his throat. Abby sat back and signalled that she was finished, but she stayed where she was. Sam stretched out, sprawling against the young woman. He didn't show her his belly, but he still offered a non-threatening message---something along the lines of 'hello, friend.'

"This---" Gibbs pointed to an older man who was sitting near Tony. "Is Dr. Donald Mallard and Gerald Jackson."

"Call me Ducky, my dear," Dr. Mallard said in his warm British accent.

CJ thought about his nickname for a moment and then spoke, "Mallard. Duck. Ducky." She gestured with her hand. "Got it."

"It's nice to meet you, Ms. Cregg," Gerald said with a little smile.

"And you, both, as well," CJ replied, smiling back at them.

She found it interesting that Abby had gone out of her way and had shown complete submission, while the two men barely moved at all. But, she didn't comment on it. They didn't change the air like Ann did when she walked into a room, so she decided she'd watch them and decide if they were threats or not.

After a second, she turned and looked at Gibbs. "So, you have friends," she teased.

Gibbs chuckled. "Yeah... you're surprised?"

"Well, yeah," she said, before laughing softly.

The sound of glass breaking brought their quiet laughter to a halt. Gibbs' hand immediately drew to his gun, and Tony and Kate both tensed.

"Sorry!"

CJ cocked her head. The voice wasn't one she recognised. It was soft, rather melodic, but a little nasal.

When she saw Toby's smile, she knew that this voice belonged to the person he wanted to compare to CJ.

A very petite woman came into the room. She had long blonde hair and bright blue eyes. CJ smiled at her, but she sniffed the air at the same time. She came to her conclusion quickly: wolf.

"I... I dr-dropped a glass."

"Did you cut yourself?" Hogan asked. "I can get a bandage if---"

"No, I'm fine. I just startled myself."

Toby cleared his throat. "CJ Cregg, Annabeth Schott."

"You work for Taylor Reed," CJ said quietly.

"I do," the blonde said. "Amy dropped me off here... she said she was going to stay with the President and First Lady, but she wanted me to be safe."

CJ smiled. "Good."

Andy smiled, too. "Did you find a place to put your stuff?"

Annabeth nodded. "I did, thanks." She stiffled a tiny yawn. "I think I'm going to go clean up that glass and then hit the hay."

"We all should," Toby said after Annabeth left the room.

CJ agreed with that, but she knew she wasn't ready to sleep yet. A few others seemed to feel the same way. Even Toby didn't look like he was ready to sleep.

John spoke up. "Those who need to sleep, go to sleep. Now that all the introductions have been made, there's really nothing else to do."

Some people got up and went in search of the rooms they were using for sleep.

Gibbs looked at Tony and motioned towards the hall, towards the hallway that Annabeth had taken. Tony nodded, got up, and then left the room. CJ guessed that he was going to spend the night with her, since there weren't many wolves staying in Toby's house.

Kate sighed. "I'm gonna go do a perimeter sweep," she announced as she rose to her feet.

"Check in," Gibbs warned.

The brunette nodded before she went to the kitchen, in pursuit of the back door.

CJ looked at Hogan. "Bedtime, kiddo."

"Aunt CJ... I'm not tired yet."

"You called your dad already?" she asked. When Hogan shook her head, CJ said, "Call him and then head to bed."

CJ's brothers hadn't picked up the shapeshifter gene from their parents, which meant that they were safe and Hogan was not. They knew about CJ's and Hogan's ability, though, and seemed to accept it. The only condition for Hogan to move in with CJ and the others was that she had to check in every night. Hogan had protested, but CJ had accepted it. It seemed reasonable, and something that a good parent would request.

"I'm going to get a drink," John said in CJ's ear. "You want anything?"

"Water'd be great," CJ murmured back.

He kissed her neck and then pushed himself up. When he was gone, CJ sighed and ran a hand through her hair. Sam sat up, lifting himself out of Abby's lap, and he put his head onto CJ's thigh.

She smiled at him and rubbed his head, between his ears. "You want some water, Sam?" she asked.

Sam closed his eyes and started to purr. CJ chuckled.

Abby smiled. "I think he's okay where he is."

"Yeah, me too," she agreed.



Chapter Twelve


Leo glanced over at Special Agent Gibbs, who had adjusted his tie for the second time since they were waiting in his office. He cracked a dry smile.

"You nervous or somethin', Jethro?" he asked.

Gibbs smiled. "I brief pretty important people on a regular basis. But, it's not every day that I get to speak with the President."

With a chuckle, Leo shrugged and said, "He's only human." He stopped and smiled. "Well, you know what I mean."

The silver haired man smiled back at him and opened his mouth to say something, but a door opened, revealing a brief corridor and the President.

"Leo," he said warmly. "And this must be Special Agent Jethro Gibbs."

"Yes, sir."

"You must be here to brief me on the whole ordeal."

"Yes, sir."

Jed smiled. "You know how many briefings I get in a day?" he inquired. When Gibbs shrugged, he continued. "I lose count after ten, but I know there are many. Leo could give you the full count---"

"And I'm not going to, sir," Leo interupted.

Gibbs stiffled a chuckle. It seemed that they played that particular game often---the back and forth of dry comments.

"Alright, Captain Killjoy," Jed said with a playful look in Leo's direction. "Let's get this briefing started."

###


By the end of the thirty minutes Leo had set aside for their meeting, Gibbs had learned that briefings with the President were never brief.

But, he also knew that he couldn't let it go on any longer because he had to pick up Hogan from school and relieve Kate from duty so she could get some sleep.

He was about to interupt the President, which he guessed would be a bad idea for someone in his position, but Leo rescued him from doing that. "Sir, we want to bring in investigators."

"Investigators? But, what are Gibbs and his agents?"

"We are investigators, sir," Gibbs admitted. "But, this job is one of protection. We have a large amount of people to keep track of. A few more of the leopards have been helping us, but they aren't professionally trained, so they're mostly watching windows and the surveillance camera footage. We're spread thin, and with the evidence we have in hand now, we need more than my forensics scientist to help process everything."

"You have anyone in mind?" The President asked.

Gibbs shrugged. "A few. Abby, my scientist, knows of some... of our kind who work in her field. She's going to let me know if any of them can come in and help."

"Leo, you'll take care of the arrangements, and let me know who is coming in?"

"They'll meet with you and Abbey," Leo assured him. "Before they get settled."

"I don't want a dominant coming in and disrupting or hurting my pack or my wife's pard."

"Understandable, sir," Gibbs agreed. "I'll get into it as much as I can."

"Good."

Leo checked his watch. "Jethro, you better get going if you want to pick up CJ's niece."

"Yeah," he said with a nod. "Thanks, Mr. President, Leo. I'll be in touch."

After leaving Leo's office, he walked down the halls, finding his way out of the West Wing without any trouble. It hadn't been that long since he had followed CJ through those hallways. He smiled as he remembered those moments---moments of her yelling at him and generally freaking out as he tried to do his job.

He shook those memories from his mind once he was outside, heading towards the van he was renting. He picked up his cellular phone and called Abby, who was at her lab for the day.

"Hey, Bossman!" she answered brightly.

"Hey, Abs," Gibbs replied. "You wanna make some calls for me?"

"Time to bring in the scientists?" Abby asked.

"You bet, Kitten," Gibbs told her. "Do you mind?"

He expected the response she gave: "Not at all."



Chapter Thirteen


"Man, I need steak and eggs and coffee," Nick Stokes complained as he walked alongside his colleagues, through the airport terminal. "Please tell me we can stop somewhere along the way."

The strawberry blonde that was walking ahead of him turned her head and flashed him a smile. "Let's get our bags first, Nicky," Catherine Willows told him. "Then, we'll plan our next move."

Nick sighed in response but said nothing.

Gil Grissom smiled and put his hand on Catherine's lower back. She glanced at him, her smile softened into the smile she kept just for him, her mate.

Las Vegas had a very small shapeshifter population---ten, maybe twenty at the most. They congregated together in different areas. Sam Braun ran with a pack of shifters and they alone controlled the casino environment. Gil kept his four together, and they found more constructive way to manage their time.

They weren't the same animal---he and Nick were wolves, while Warrick Brown and Catherine were leopards---but they acted as though they were together in some sort of family grouping.

Normally, Gil would have been worried about bringing his family into another territory; however, he knew about the First Family, and what the situation was there, so he felt better about it. If leopards and wolves were cohabitating in Washington, D.C., then they could go there without stirring up much worry or speculation.

Catherine had been thrilled to hear that they were leaving Las Vegas for a while. She wanted some time with her men, without worrying about Sara or Greg poking their heads into their business. Warrick felt the same way; he wanted to be able to touch his family without worrying about anyone speculating on his motives.

Nick would miss some creatue comforts of home, but Gil requested his presence, so he accepted the trip as part of his job.

Gil wasn't sure how he felt. He had been piecing together bits of evidence from the few animal attacks he had heard of, had found the crime scenes for---and he didn't like putting Catherine, Nick, and Warrick in danger. But, he was putting them in danger by not doing everything he could to put an end to the poaching.

Once they had their bags---too many, because they brought their own crime kits and small pieces of equipment---they set it all on the carts and wheeled it outside.

"Two cabs?" Nick asked as he turned to look at the line of taxi cabs along the curb.

Warrick started to laugh---it was a deep chuckle that vibrated through them. Gil smiled; Warrick's laugh always warmed him up.

"Nick, I don't think we'll need cabs," he said as he pointed to the black Suburban that was waiting by the curb. A man wearing a black suit was standing next to it---he walked forward when he saw the four adults exit the airport.

"Wha---oh." He too had seen the vehicle and the approaching man.

"Dr. Grissom, Mr. Stokes and Brown, Ms. Willows," the man said, his moustache twitching a little as he spoke. "My name is Ron Butterfield," he paused and showed them his badge. "I'm with the Secret Service. Leo McGarry asked me to escort you to the safehouse."

Gil smiled and nodded. "Thank you."

A few minutes after that introduction, their luggage was stored in the back of the vehicle and they were driving towards the house where they would be stationed for at least the next few days.



Chapter Fourteen


The dining room table was cluttered with evidence bags, photographs, transcripts, and anything else Gibbs and Tony needed to share with the forensics investigators. The shapeshifters from Vegas had also brought their own evidence; that, too, was being put upon the table as the four in charge discussed the case.

Andy watched from the doorway. Abby was with her. They each had an arm wrapped around each other; the redhead rested her chin on the black-haired woman's head, between her pigtails.

Gibbs and Tony didn't like the two in charge from Vegas, Grissom and Catherine. Andy could tell that immediately. The majority of the clash was between Grissom and Gibbs, as far as Andy could see.

When the baby monitor flared to life, Andy sighed and lifted her head from Abby.

The younger woman smiled. "Can I help?" she offered.

"Don't you need to be here for this?"

Abby shrugged. Gibbs looked at her from his position on the other side of the table. "Go on. We'll save your stuff for the end, Abs."

"Thanks, Gibbs," she said.

Andy flashed the older man a grateful smile. She never minded taking care of the twins on her own, but when Huck was a handful, then Molly became a handful, and it was very difficult to manage a situation like that. Toby and CJ did what they could to help, and since John and Sam were back, they helped too, but when they were gone for the day it was always a little bit harder.

The two women went upstairs. The babies were crying, but they had quieted down a little, and were staring through the bars of Huck's crib with red, pouting faces.

"Awwww," Abby murmured.

Andy smiled and reached in to pick up Huck. After pressing a kiss to his forehead and wiping his cheeks dry, she passed him to Abby; he sniffled and snuggled up to the woman.

"Luckily I didn't wear my spiked collar today," Abby joked as Andy picked up Molly, as Huck grabbed onto Abby's leather choker and tugged gently.

Andy laughed softly. "I like that collar."

"Thanks," Abby said brightly. "Gibbs bought the spiked one for me."

"He did?"

"Yeah... a Christmas present," the young woman murmured affectionately.

"He looks out for you."

"Yeah..." Abby agreed. "He's stuck in his ways... a little old-fashioned. But, we're a family. An odd, happy, dysfunctional family."

Andy nodded. She kissed Molly's temple and brought her over to the changing table. Abby followed at a safe distance, with Huck cooing quietly in her arms.

"So, do you know why he doesn't like the shifters from Las Vegas?"

Abby thought for a moment. She tilted her head to the side, pressing her cheek against the top of Huck's head. "I think... well, Gibbs is old fashioned. I mean, look at his relationship with CJ."

Andy thought about what Abby said, as she cleaned Molly up. She had known, through Toby and then through CJ, that the press secretary had developed romantic feelings for the man who had posed as the head of her security detail. He had, in turn, fallen for her. She wondered why they never figured out who they were; but, she knew too well, that when other emotions (like fear, frustration, anger) took over, instincts sometimes stopped working effectively.

There was still a spark between the two. CJ didn't want him for a mate, or boyfriend, or anything like that---Andy could tell that much. But, she was still interested in Gibbs on some level. Gibbs took her teasing in stride and he occasionally teased her back, he would watch her for minutes at a time---and yet, he never once acted upon an impulse to have her closer.

"It's because of the whole species thing," Andy guessed.

"Exactly," Abby confirmed. "He's only ever hooked up with wolves. Well, apart from his last two wives. They were human. Major disaster."

"How many times has he been married?" Andy asked.

"Three."

Andy smiled and shook her head. She finished fastening Molly's new diaper, and then she put her pants back on.

"Trade?" Abby asked.

The redhead smiled and nodded; then they traded babies so Andy could change Huck while Molly snuggled up to Abby.

"They like you," Andy commented idly.

"Well, I like them," Abby replied. "They're just so cute. They've got their father's pout."

Andy laughed. They inherited more than an expression from Toby, but it was that face that ghosted the bearded man more than any other feature on their faces.

"So, anyway," Abby continued. "I'm betting that Gibbs and Dr. Grissom are butting heads because of the whole species thing."

"Because they're each a different species? Because---"

"No, because Dr. Grissom is less traditional. Because his mate is Ms. Willows," Abby replied. "I heard Vegas was much more... free-thinking. Guess it really is."

"Why is that so bad?"

"Well, less breeding, for starters."

Andy snorted. "I don't think Gibbs is too concerned with breeding."

Abby smiled. "Good point," she conceded.

"It's like humans and religion," Andy commented, before blowing a raspberry on Huck's stomach. The baby boy squealed and wriggled his legs.

"You should see the trouble shifters face in the Bible Belt," Abby told the redhead. "Religion and species play a part."

"Like we don't have enough problems," Andy said in a cooing voice, directed to Abby and at making Huck laugh more.

Both Abby and Huck laughed.

###


CJ, Toby, Annabeth, Josh, Amy, and Sam came in the back door, Kate Todd at their heels. Andy looked away from the dining room---where she had been glowering for over twenty minutes---and towards the group.

She set down the wooden spoon she had been using to stir a large pot of marinara sauce, and smiled at them. "Well, we're going to have a large crew tonight," she said.

Toby walked over to her and kissed her cheek. "How was your day?"

"Fine," she murmured. "The twins are in the playpen in the living room, if you want to say hello. John's watching them."

CJ smiled and kissed Andy's cheek. "I'll go bring them in," she offered, before rubbing Andy's arm and leaving the room.

Andy followed CJ with her eyes as she retreated, and then she found herself staring at Catherine and Abby, who were talking avidly in the dining room, about something under the forensic science umbrella.

Toby snorted softly. She turned and looked at him. "Yes, Pokey?"

"You are smitten," he commented, smiling a little. "And jealous."

"I am not."

"Are too."

Toby reached into the pot with his finger, to swipe a sample of the sauce. Andy's eyes widened and she grabbed his wrist just in time. "Oh no, you don't!" she scolded, lifting his arm up.

"I just want to sample!"

"Get a spoon."

He sighed and glared at her. She glared back. She heard some sounds behind her, near the back door. After sniffing the air, she said, "Josh, put your shoes neatly on the mat. Don't leave them in the middle of the room."

"How'd you..."

Amy and Annabeth laughed. Even Toby smiled---which then made Andy smile.

"She's got you all figured out," Amy teased as she walked over and ruffled Josh's already-ruffled hair.

"Well, it's not that hard," CJ commented from the doorway. She had Huck in her arms, and John was behind her with Molly. "These two wanted to see their daddy," she added in a gentle tone of voice.

Toby looked away from Andy and walked over to CJ and John. Andy watched him. She had been worried about the man's response to the babies when she first told him she was with child; after she had given birth to Huck and Molly, she knew those worries had been badly formed.

He was a great father. She smiled as he hoisted Huck into his arms and kissed him before telling him about his day. Huck cooed contentedly and tugged on his beard. Toby didn't wince---and he always winced when CJ and Andy tugged on his beard in play. He was the same with Molly, after he had given Huck back to CJ. Andy felt her heart swell at the sight of him with their children.




Chapter Fifteen


Sam sighed and closed his eyes as CJ and Toby stretched out alongside of him. He smelled Andy's approach, and guessed that she was on the other side of Toby. They touched each other, holding their bodies close for warmth and comfort.

"The house is packed," Toby grumbled.

Andy chuckled. "It won't be for too much longer," she murmured. "The twins are the happiest they've been in a while... and there haven't been any accidents yet."

"Still."

Sam smiled and opened one eye. In the dimly lit room, he still could make out Toby's gloomy pout.

"Still what?" CJ asked.

"Still... how about what'll happen when ten leopards are in heat at the same time?" Toby challenged. "Hmmm?"

"Well," Andy said in a careful voice. "We'll have to figure that out when it happens."

Sam opened both eyes. "It's safe to say we'll all get some play, though. Do the math, Toby."

CJ laughed. She pressed her cheek into Sam's shoulder and laughed until the sound faded naturally with her need to breathe. Sam smiled and brushed his fingers through her hair.

"Very good point," Toby agreed. Sam saw his pout turn into a smug smile.

"You get plenty of play," Andy scolded him as she lifted herself up onto her elbows.

She leaned in and kissed him lightly, not making promises for anything else; instead, the kiss seemed to be a vague reminder. He purred and smiled up at her, and he snaked his arm around her back.

His other hand reached up and tucked her red hair behind her ear. Andy purred in response and leaned into his touch.

"So, how's Abby?" Toby asked teasingly.

Sam turned his head and watched the man. He never would have guessed that Toby would tease his mate about her feelings for another woman---he had hated when she dated other men, when he found out about them through the grapevine at work.

"Just fine," Andy murmured in a low voice. "Are you implying something, Mr. Zeigler?" she inquired. Toby shrugged. She smiled. "You think we'd look cute together in matching spiked collars... handcuffs, perhaps?"

Sam knew she was trying to arouse Toby---or even just tease him a bit. But, he couldn't ignore how melodic her voice was. It made him shiver slightly.

"I don't think you can do goth, Andrea," Toby replied. He smirked. "But, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing you try it."

CJ spoke up. "What is going on with you and Abby?" she asked quietly.

Andy turned her head. Her fair, peaches-and-cream skin was flushed. "Nothing, CJ."

"Nothing?" CJ asked. "You two seemed pretty cozy tonight."

"I..." Andy trailed off and huffed, blowing her long bangs up into the air for a moment. "Well, I don't know. She's cute. She makes me laugh."

"What about me?" Toby asked.

Andy smiled at him. "She likes writers," she said. Sam wasn't sure if she was teasing him or not. "She dated a professor once."

"No... what do you like about me?"

"Ah... we have insecure Toby tonight," Andy murmured as she dropped her head down to his chest. She kissed his body once and then said, "You make me melt, Toby."

The darker man sighed and relaxed. Sam hadn't even realised he was tense---but seeing him sigh showed a significant release in tension.

"Okay," Toby murmured. "You can sleep with her if you want."

"I should kick your ass for being so protective," Andy whispered.

Toby smiled. "You should?"

"Yeah..."

"But you're not going to?"

She shook her head a bit. "Nope. I'm too comfy."

Sam smiled and rubbed her back with his free hand, before he turned his attention to CJ. She seemed to be wide awake, staring at the window covered in blackout curtains. After a minute, she smiled at Sam and then closed her eyes.

He kissed the top of her head and decided he would try to fall asleep.

###


"Sam," CJ whispered, waking him up. "Move over a bit."

"Nnnugh," he grunted, curling up a bit. "Go'way."

She chuckled softly. "Sam, just roll over a few inches."

"Whhhyyy?" he whined. "Big bed. Lots of room."

"John is joining us," she explained.

He sighed and opened his eyes. He saw that there was a space between him and Toby; Toby was awake but Andy was asleep, sprawled on top of him. He turned his head and looked at CJ. John was undressing by the closet, behind her.

He didn't want to move. He liked his place between Toby and CJ. And he didn't want to share CJ with John. But, he also knew that John was more dominant than he was, and he didn't have much of a claim to CJ. She was John's mate. He knew he was important to CJ, but he guessed it was more like puppy-love---or kitten-love in their case.

With another sigh, he said, "Fine..."

After he rolled into the free space, he felt CJ inch closer. She put an arm around him and kissed his bare shoulder.

"Thank you, Sam," she whispered.

He turned his head. He couldn't be angry or sad when she was smiling at him; he smiled back at her and kissed her. She kissed him back, even after the bed dipped and John joined them.

"Thanks, Sam," John said quietly after their kiss had ended.

"No problem," Sam replied in a similarly quiet tone.

CJ snuggled between the two men. The last time they attempted sleep, it had taken her over an hour to fall asleep---well, it took over an hour for Sam to fall asleep, and he was certain she was still awake instants before he succumbed to sleep---but he knew she was seconds away from deep slumber this time.

He chuckled softly and rubbed her hand where it rested against his chest. She purred in response.

###


Sam groaned. Sleeping with CJ was going to be the death of him. She had been sound asleep since John joined them---and that had been nice, lulling Sam into a peaceful sleep of his own. But, then, all of a sudden, she had jumped up; one of her hands landed on his chest as she pressed herself up, causing him to groan and painfully lose the air that was in his lungs.

"Geez, Ceej," he whined.

"Shh," she hissed.

Sam widened his eyes and looked around in the dark. He heard CJ sniffing the air, he felt Toby and Andy on his other side as they stilled and waited for CJ to make an assessment of the situation.

The leggy woman got up off the bed, and paced the room. She crept by the window and listened carefully. Then, she repeated that process by the door.

"Anything?" Andy asked quietly.

She shook her head. "No... but something's off."

John rolled onto his side, so he was facing CJ. "Come here," he demanded in a gentle voice. "CJ... nothing's wrong. Come here."

She frowned, but she heeded his request and sat on the bed before curling up in his arms. After a minute, she leaned up and crawled over his body. She paused at his thigh.

Sam saw that John looked amused. He was even a little amused with her behavior. She was in the Fort Knox for shapeshifters, he believed, so any outside danger didn't seem like much to worry about---and yet, she worried.

CJ put her hand on John's bare leg. John yelped when she pushed down hard in several places.

"There's something in there," she said after finding the place she was looking for.

John blinked. "What on earth are you talking about?"

She took his hand and put it where hers had been. Sam watched John frown. CJ looked up at him. "See? A little lump."

"Could be skin cancer," John suggested.

"It's like a hard... grain of rice or something," CJ said.

"Well, I'm not going to let you cut me open," John commented. "I trust you, but... your speciality is spin, CJ, not surgery."

She glared at him and made an exasperated noise. "Honestly, John... I'd call Abbey."

"Whose specialty is the heart, not the leg," John replied. "I feel better already."

CJ grunted and pushed her hand into his chest, knocking him flat onto his back.

"Hey!"

"Stop making fun of me!" she complained.

He grabbed her hands and tugged her close. "I'm sorry," he murmured before kissing the top of her head. "Really... but... there's nothing there. I wasn't shot with a bullet when I was gone. Just a tranquilizer dart."

"What if... what if it's like a tracker or something?" Sam asked.

Toby yawned and then said, "What? You're writing another crime-fighter series?"

"Seriously, Toby," Sam replied, turning his head to look at the other man. "If they wanted to follow John... or know where he was going..."

"Assuming we would all hang out together," Andy jumped in when he trailed off. "If he is being tracked, it would lead the hunters to us."

CJ stiffened. "Oh god," she whispered. "What if..."

"That's a big what if, CJ."

She looked at John after he spoke. "You were out of it. How did you escape?"

"I don't remember," John told her. "I was in a cage... on a truck. Next thing I knew, I was in the back of one of the Secret Service vans. I remember shots being fired... but not at me... at the guys who came to get me."

CJ frowned. "I'm gonna get Gibbs," she said quietly. "Maybe Abby has some sort of scanning equipment at the lab... she can find out if it's transmitting or something."

"Easier way to do that," Sam said as he hopped off of the bed and padded across the room. He rummaged in his suit jacket pocket and pulled his cellular phone out.

"I swear to god, Sam," Toby said on a sigh. "If you learned this from some sort of spy novel or mystery movie..."

"I won't tell you where I learned this then," Sam said with a little smile.

He hopped back onto the bed and opened his phone. He dialed the number to his voicemail and then leaned over John's lower body. He could almost smell the power and dominance radiating off of the other man; he found it mildly intoxicating.

He held the phone away from his ear and ran it over John's leg.

"What?" Toby asked. "You expect it to start beeping?"

Sam sighed and shook his head. "No... but they both work on radio frequencies," he said. "Maybe it'll make a high pitched noise or something. My phone acts up around radios and televisions."

"Everyone's does," Toby said, sounding unimpressed.

"So... just... shut up or something," Sam muttered.

Andy patted Toby's stomach and then she leaned over him to get closer to John. Every leopard on the bed was frozen, listening for some sort of indication of transmission.

"There," CJ whispered. "I hear it." She put her hand over Sam's and moved it to where it had been when she heard the sound. "Barely there," she added quietly.

"You're making that up," Toby grunted.

"CJ, are you---"

Sam turned when Andy stopped talking. "Yeah... there we go." She looked at CJ. "Get Gibbs. I'll call Abbey."

"You two are making this up!" John protested.

"I am not!" Both women yelped at the same time.

Sam closed his phone and tossed it onto the bed---only to have Andy snatch it up and dial the First Lady's very private phone number. He sighed and looked at Toby.

"You started this," Toby accused his former deputy, as CJ opened the door and called out for Gibbs.

"I did not!" Sam cried out, eyebrows jumping up.

Sam and Toby were still bickering---with a few odd comments added from John---when Tony and Nick came into the doorway.

Tony ran his gaze over CJ's body. That was predictable---both because he was a man and because he seemed to be jealous of her friendship with Gibbs. Sam was impressed with CJ; she didn't flinch and she didn't cross her arms. She glared at Tony with her best cold expression (Sam used to refer to it as 'the spin boys screwed up and I'm going to kill them all'-face) and she completely ignored Nick.

The crime scene investigator didn't make any sort of territorial move. Sam liked that wolf. He knew when to stand up for himself and he knew when to protect others---but he also knew when to step back from an ugly situation.

"What's going on?" Tony asked in a voice that might pass for calm, cool, and collected---except Sam could smell the tension in the air.

"Something's in John's leg," CJ said in a voice that passed for nothing but hostile.

"Yeah, okay. But, we're not doctors." He paused, tilted his head and added, "Neither is Gibbs, actually---"

Sam decided that if CJ didn't explain herself clearly, he would speak up to save time and tension. However, John spoke before CJ or Sam could.

"She thinks it could be some sort of tracking device," John said calmly. "We were hoping you might have some sort of surveillance equipment that could detect frequencies or if that's what it even is, so we can figure out where to go from here."

Nick nodded and started to say that he'd check with Kate, but Tony interupted.

"How do we know he's not working with them?" Tony asked, lifting his chin up.

CJ's shoulders and back tensed even more. Sam barely believed that was possible. He knew that if she had been in animal form, the hair on her back would be sticking straight up.

"I know," CJ said in a low voice.

"How?" Tony challenged. "He's been away for months, who knows what he's been up to. He could have set up the scene in the park, so they could capture Ms. Stark---"

"Back off, Wolf," CJ growled.

Sam's eyes widened and he looked wildly to Andy, Toby, and John for some sort of direction.

"CJ," John said calmly. "My honour doesn't need defending."

"I don't like him."

Toby's beard twitched. Even John smiled a little. Sam was too nervous to smile.

"Yeah, but that's not a reason to throw the gauntlet down," John reminded her. "We all live together right now, and---"

"I don't care," CJ spat. "He has no right to talk about my mate this way."

"Leopards don't mate for life, kitty cat," Tony reminded her.

Sam hadn't realised that he was holding onto John's arm until John put a hand over his to coax him to relax his grip.

"Tony, man," Nick said quietly, putting a hand on the other investigator's shoulder. "Back off a little."

"I'll back off when I want to, Vegas."

Sam swallowed hard. He closed his eyes when John put a hand on the back of his neck; he tried to relax, but he was entirely too nervous to even think about approaching this situation calmly. Nevertheless, the contact was appreciated.

"CJ..." John said quietly.

CJ didn't say anything in response. John released Sam's neck, and Sam felt Andy take over. Her nails gently scratched his scalp as she rubbed his head and neck. He sighed and shivered before backing up against her body.

John rose to his feet and walked to the door so his body was pressed against CJ's back. He slid his hands from her shoulders to her hands and he kept them there.

"It's okay," he murmured near her ear. "The other investigators might have asked the same thing."

"He's disrespectful."

John nodded. "Yeah, but you can't change that by clawing him into pieces. So, let's get dressed while they go looking for something to check my leg out with."

Sam breathed a sigh of relief as CJ nodded and slipped her fingers through John's fingers, weaving them together.

"Tony, Nick... do either of your teams have something we can use?" John asked the other men.

Tony clenched his jaw for a moment. He didn't take his eyes away from CJ's cold glare as he spoke. "Yeah, I'll go see what Kate has in the surveillance room."

"Thanks, Tony."

Andy cleared her throat. "Ellie will be coming over with Ron," she told the room of tense shapeshifters. "If it is some sort of implant. She said she should be able to remove it with minimal damage."

"We might be able to get a backtrace on it," Tony said quietly. He broke eye contact with CJ and backed away a bit. "I'll go check our equipment."

"Meet you in the kitchen in fifteen minutes?" John suggested.

Tony and Nick both nodded, before Nick guided the other man out of the doorway.

CJ closed the door. John took her in his arms and asked, "What was that about?"

"I'm bored," she deadpanned. "I thought shifting and duelling with someone younger and probably stronger than me would be an entertaining way to spend the evening."

"I outta clip the back of your head," he growled softly. Tenderness warmed his voice. "I don't need defending, Claudia Jean."

"I... you shouldn't be spoken about that way."

Sam blinked when John smiled. Even CJ seemed confused about the man's new expression.

"Is this some sort of delayed reaction to the infidelity scandal?" he asked quietly. "You wanted to defend me then... and couldn't. So you're defending me now?"

"Don't psychoanalyse me," CJ complained. "I just know you're not in cahoots with the hunters... you're not. And having that twerp challenge us..." she trailed off and growled. "It raises my hackles."

"No kidding," Sam said quietly.

"He's insecure," John murmured, while rubbing CJ's arms. "That's his problem. Not yours. Not ours."

CJ sighed. "Sorry..."

John kissed her shoulder. "It's alright. I really appreciate the way you step up to the plate... but it's just me. So, no need gunning up for a big fight."

"Not just you," she whispered as she leaned into his arms. "It's you. You're not a just you..."

After a kiss to her temple, he murmured, "How about you stay up here with Sam? I'll go downstairs and get my leg scanned---"

She interupted. "But---"

"If I'm getting cut open, I'll want you there," he continued. "But, you and Tony shouldn't be in the room again."

She nodded. "Yeah... okay. You're right."

"Kills you to admit it, doesn't it?" John teased.

CJ cracked a small smile. "I like when you're right," she admitted. "It means I can stop being right."

John grinned before he leaned in and kissed her lips. CJ hugged him after the kiss, and John had to coax her to release him.

The former Vice President asked Toby to come with him to the kitchen; Andy told the remaining two that she was going to check on the twins, but that she would be back.

Sam didn't mind being alone with CJ. When the woman snuggled into his arms, he smiled and kissed the top of her head.

"You okay?" Sam asked.

She nodded. "I need John... but I always feel better with you, Sam."

The man smiled. It wasn't a declaration of love, but their kind didn't really 'do' love... and it was one of the best honest admissions he had ever heard.



Chapter Sixteen


Jed watched from the sofa as Ellie passed him and headed into his wife's study, a room off of the main sitting room. He turned and looked at Leo.

"What's going on?" he asked quietly as he leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees.

Leo shrugged. "Something requiring medicine, I'm guessing, sir. Abbey'll fill us in."

The President sighed. Running his pack while advising his wife to do well with her pard was something he could handle; running the country was something he could barely handle; running both was something he was having trouble with even mentally processing.

He was grateful for Leo more than he had ever been in his whole life.

"You're doing fine, Mr. President."

Jed glared. "I'm barely holding onto my sanity, Leo," he corrected. "I don't know what to focus on first---"

"The trade talks are going well... Toby's speech hit a few roadbumps, but Will's on the case. CJ's not having any problems in the briefing room," Leo told him. "Josh's hairline is receding a little bit, but that's Josh. Amy'll rein him in."

"But, am I missing things?" Jed asked. "Between worrying about the wolves and worrying about the country---"

"You're not missing anything, sir," Leo assured him.

"Margaret's crashing with Josh and Amy in the guest room?" Jed asked, while pressing his hands together.

Leo nodded. "Yeah. All curled up in bed."

"The girls are in Zoey's room," Jed told him, even though he was sure Leo already knew that fact. "Liz is getting sick of lying to Doug. He wants her home for some interview next week."

"Have him come here and give the interview," Leo suggested. "I'm sure I can clear it with CJ's office."

Jed nodded slowly. He didn't really want Doug in the Residence while he was hosting the wolves, and anyone else that might have to spend a night to remain protected.

Liz had chosen to marry a human. It was perfectly acceptable; Jed had married for love and had crossed plenty of boundaries in doing so, so he couldn't judge Liz for wanting to marry for love. But, she had insisted on keeping Doug in the dark---he didn't know that she could shift into a wolf. The Bartlets knew there was a chance her children wouldn't carry the shapeshifting genes, so they agreed to keep the secret for Liz.

Doug wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but there was a chance he would hear something that he shouldn't. And Jed din't know how that would turn out.

A knock on the door brought Jed out of his thoughts.

"Come in," Jed called out.

Charlie came in. "Mr. President, I was told Ellie and the First Lady are in here."

Jed nodded and smiled a bit. "In the study, Charlie."

The dark man nodded and swept through the room. Jed listened as his aide told the women in the other room that Ron was waiting with a car for Ellie, to take her to the safe house.

Jed looked at Leo, who shrugged. Clearly, he didn't know what was going on, either.

When Ellie and Abbey emerged from the room, they went over to the two men. Charlie was behind them.

"What's up?" Jed asked.

"John has some sort of tracking chip under his skin," Abbey explained. "The NCIS agents think the kidnap and rescue was a set up."

"Is Ann clean?" Leo asked, after sharing a serious look with the President.

Abbey shrugged. "She's still working on the Hill... we'll find out later, I guess."

"You're both going?"

Ellie shook her head. "Just me, Dad," she said quietly. "I don't think it's a good idea to put too many more leopards in the house right now."

Leo sighed. "CJ and Tony?" he asked.

Abbey nodded. "Sam and Andy both told me that it was tense."

"You spoke with both of them?" Jed asked.

Abbey nodded again. "Andy called me while it was apparently going on... to keep me informed. Sam called after they found that the implant was a GPS transmitter." She sighed. "John calmed her down... but... she and Gibbs' partner do not get along."

"I'll speak to Jethro about it," Leo said quietly. "If he's informed, then maybe he can at least be a buffer between them."

"Yeah," Jed agreed. "Thanks, Leo." He looked at his daughter. "You be careful, Ellie."

The blonde rolled her eyes. "Dad, I'll be with Ron. It'll be fine."

"He's taking you himself?"

"Yeah," she answered. "Don't worry. Nothing'll happen."

"Sir?" Charlie spoke up. "Would it be alright if I stay here tonight?"

Jed looked at his aide. "Of course, Charlie."

The younger man smiled a bit. "Thanks, Mr. President. I'm going to go downstairs and finish some homework... I'll go into the shifters' bedroom later."

"If you want to crash with the three of us," Jed said, gesturing between himself, Leo, and Abbey. "You're welcome to."

He had made that offer to Charlie several times. He didn't want the young man to feel uncomfortable in a room of wolves; it was hard to be the odd man out. Every time, Charlie graciously declined the invitation. Jed guessed that it would be awkward to sleep with one's employer and his wife; but, he would continue to make the offer, just in case.

Charlie smiled a little. "Thank you, sir. If I get growled out of the other room, I might take you up on that."

"Don't worry about waking us up," he told Charlie.

"I won't. Thank you, sir," he said, before striding towards the room's exit.

Abbey kissed Ellie's cheek and then ushered her out of the room, too. She turned back to the men remaining in the room and smiled.

"What?" Leo asked.

"I'm surprised," she said. "Charlie's usually so adamant about saying 'no.'"

Jed shrugged. "He hasn't had many opportunities to stay with the other cats," he said. "Maybe it's getting to him."

Abbey smiled again. "Maybe..." She sighed. "Well, I'm going to bed. Whenever you two feel like joining me..."

The purr in her voice did not go unnoticed by either man. Leo gulped and Jed stared at her retreating form.

"Did she..."

Jed's brow furrows. "I don't know..."

"Hmm."

"Want to go find out?"

Leo smiled and shook his head a little as he started to chuckle. "Living here with you two is going to be the death of me," he commented dryly.

"A little life is just what an old wolf like you needs, Leo," Jed announced as he helped his friend up so they could walk into the master bedroom together.



Chapter Seventeen


The big tawny-coloured leopard growled as Ellie approached him. CJ sighed and rubbed his side.

"Honestly, John," she murmured. "We need to get that thing out of your leg."

They had advised John to change into his leopard form---not because they wanted the extra danger of teeth and claws, but mostly because he would heal more quickly. Ellie also thought she would be able to find the transmitter easier if she was examining the form in which the chip was installed.

He looked up at her, a reproachful expression hiding behind his big blue eyes---a feature that was unusual for a cat of his colour, but that suited him perfectly.

CJ smiled, leaned down and kissed his forehead. "I know," she said tenderly. "Just lie still, here with me... and it'll be over soon. You don't want drugs, so behave."

The leopard groaned and relaxed his body, so he could lie down and lean against CJ. She rewarded him with a few long strokes of her hand against his fur coat.

She knew he didn't want drugs. He had been very clear in making his wishes known; as an alcoholic, he didn't want any sort of mind-altering drug coarsing through even his feline system, if he could help it. But, she didn't know if he'd be able to lie still long enough for Ellie to extract the transmitter from his leg.

"Okay..." Ellie mumbled. "Fascia Lata... Biceps Femoraus, Semi... Semi-Tendinosus," she said, identifying each muscle with a touch of her fingers. She felt around until she felt the chip and then CJ saw her map out the area with her fingers, making a mental image in her mind.

"I have to shave the area, Mr. Hoynes," Ellie said politely.

CJ smiled as John covered his face with his large paws. "It's okay," CJ murmured. "It'll grow back..." She looked up at Ellie. "I really think you two are past formalities now, Ellie," she said, an amused tone creeping into her voice. "I don't think he'd object to a first-name basis."

Ellie smiled. "Still," she said quietly in response. She picked up the electric clippers and turned them on.

CJ watched her as she worked, shaving a small square of fur away from his skin. John continued to groan and growl under his breath, under his paws; CJ smiled every time he protested, reminded of the way a child would pout. She ended up finding the behavior adorable.


When she picked up the small scalpel, John started to wriggle.

"John."

"Mr. Hoynes, please. I just need to cut into your skin---"

The big leopard hissed and opened his mouth to hiss again with a bit more force behind it. The roar echoed through the kitchen, off of its cabinets and tiled floor.

"John. Knock it off."

Ellie raised the blade when John stilled. She looked very nervous, CJ thought, as she placed the metal to John's skin.

The first slice only scratched his skin. Ellie had been shaking and nervous and her touch had consequently been too light.

John growled, though. He lifted his head and glared at the blonde.

"CJ, I can't do this," Ellie admitted. "I shouldn't be scared, but I am, and---"

"Go get a mild sedative," CJ advised quietly. "I'll watch him afterwards... and, he'll get over it."

Ellie sighed and got up. She rummaged around in her mother's medical bag, and after a few minutes, she had a loaded syringe in her hands.

John balked. He hissed and moaned and roared a little, although he managed to keep from swiping his claws in anyone's direction.

"John, honey," CJ murmured. "It's mild. Just to take the edge off. And I'll be standing with you when you wake up. I won't let you get into trouble."

He sighed. CJ rubbed his ears between her fingers, in hopes of soothing his frayed nerves. He let Ellie inject him with the syringe; then, he was relaxed enough to let her cut into his skin.

###


CJ rolled onto her stomach and stifled a yawn. John was lying next to her in leopard form---he didn't want to change immediately, to give his body time to heal and to conserve energy---and once she stilled, he moved his head so it rested on her bare lower back.

She chuckled when she felt his tongue swipe at her skin. "John... that tickles. Quit it."

He replied by repeating his actions. She laughed. "Honestly! Stop!"

She turned her head and looked at him. His pupils were wide, and his lids were half closed. He looked content. She reached behind her and patted his head as she settled back into her pillow.

John resumed licking her back. His whiskers tickled her skin. She chuckled but didn't say anything. He was licking her back, and while she thought that was a little weird, he seemed happy; he wasn't hurting anyone, so she decided to let him continue even though it tickled and it was taking all of her strength not to giggle and squirm away.

When he moved his tongue over the curve of her back to her thigh, CJ tried to get up and stop him, but he rose to a crouching position and put a paw down on her back. She frowned and stilled.

He was purring by the time he reached her toes. CJ would have been purring, too, but she was too busy questioning his motives.

"John... c'mon... stop this..." she whispered.

He growled and moved onto her other foot, this time travelling in an upward direction.

###


After assuring Tony that he had nothing to worry about, Gibbs left the surveillance room and went down the hall to find CJ.

He wanted to smooth things over between them. Hearing that Tony and CJ nearly shifted and had a fight in the middle of the Zeigler home had put him on edge. He didn't like the way Tony behaved; he didn't like that Tony saw CJ as a threat.

Maybe she was. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he could admit that she was 'the one who got away.' She wasn't a wolf, but she was a shapeshifter; she was strong-willed and she gave out as good as she received.

Guarding her in Helsinki had been a battle of wills, and some of the most fun he had had on assignment to date.

He commended CJ for not backing down, but he needed to tell her that Tony didn't need baiting. The younger man was insecure, despite Gibbs' assurances that he had no reason to be.

After rubbing a hand over his face and into his hair, he paused and tried to remember which room CJ had taken the male leopard into.

"Simon?"

When he turned to look at the source of the voice, he saw Hogan Cregg, cringing.

"Sorry," she said before he could open his mouth. "Gibbs. I forgot."

He smiled. "Don't worry about it, Hogan. Did you need something?"

"I just... I wanted to know how the investigation's going," she said quietly.

Gibbs walked up to her. She had grown in height since he had taken her and CJ shopping for formal dresses; she would follow in CJ's footsteps in being a tall, leggy Cregg woman.

"You okay?"

He could smell her fear; but, he wanted her to have some sort of cover. Not exposing her fear would give her some sort of emotional protection, if she wanted it.

She shrugged. "A little scared."

He nodded and touched her shoulders. "I kept your aunt safe the last time, right?" he asked. "And no harm came to you while we were out in the mall..."

She smiled. "Except for when I tripped over the hem of that dress."

"Except for that," he agreed with a smile. He rubbed her upper arms, and then spoke in a quiet voice. "You're going to be okay, Hogan. My team is looking out for you."

Her nod was jerky. "Y-yeah."

"I promise you," he murmured.

Her second nod was more fluid. Gibbs smiled at her. She looked up at him and then pointed to a door that was behind him.

"CJ's in that one with John," she said quietly. "He wasn't quite himself after the sedative. She wanted him to be as alone as possible."

Gibbs nodded. "Alright. Thanks, Hogan."

She smiled. "No problem. Thanks for... y'know."

He nodded and gently tweaked her chin, before walking off towards the bedroom. He knocked quietly, but didn't get a response.

The sight that greeted him when he opened the door made his stomach turn and his blood boil. CJ turned and looked at him, her eyes glazed over and her cheeks flushed. John complained with a loud growl.

Before she could open her mouth to explain, Gibbs slammed the door shut and stormed out.

###


CJ curled up around a pillow as she waited for John to come back from the bathroom. She closed her eyes and revisited the image of Gibbs standing in the doorway, looking at her like she was some sort of whore. Tears stung her eyes and slid onto her cheeks.

"God, CJ... I'm so sorry," John murmured from the door.

She opened her eyes and looking at him. "Don't apologise," she whispered as she reached for him.

"You okay?" he asked when he curled up behind her.

"Sore," she replied. "My body's not meant for those barbs... I don't even like it when I'm a cat. But, at least then, my body's prepared for them."

He kissed her shoulder. "I'm sorry. I bet that hurt..."

"No sex for a while," she whispered.

"I'm even more sorry now," he told her.

CJ's lips stretched into a small smile. "You're such a... goober."

"Oh, that hurts," John protested, groaning as he took her elbow to his stomach.

She sighed and rolled onto her other side, so she had to look at John. "The way Sim---Gibbs looked at me when he saw us," she whispered. "That's what bothers me the most. He... just stared at me and made me feel so bad."

John leaned in and kissed her very gently. CJ whimpered against his mouth and put her hands on his face as the kiss deepened.

When the kiss ended, CJ blushed and looked at him. "And I don't feel bad about it... and that makes me feel worse," she admitted.

John nodded and wrapped his arms around her body. "I'm sorry I put you in that position."

"No, you're not," CJ whispered. "You enjoyed it."

"Okay, I enjoyed it," he conceded. "But, I am sorry that I did that without your explicit consent."

"I accept your apology," she murmured.

John hugged her close; CJ sighed and rested her head on his chest. "Tomorrow," he whispered. "You'll talk to Gibbs... after he cools down. You might not necessarily make him understand, but you'll tell him your side, that you're still the same person you were the first time you two met, and if he has a problem with that..."

CJ nodded when he trailed off. "Yeah," she agreed.

A knock at the door broke their private moment. John cleared his throat. "Yeah?"

"It's Sam."

"C'mon in," John called back.

Sam appeared, wearing a pair of pajama pants. "Can I---"

"Yeah," both John and CJ said at the same time.

"Thanks," he said on a relieved sigh. "Andy and Toby are... making up. And I didn't want to be anywhere near that scene."

CJ smiled and rolled onto her back to look at Sam. "They had a fight?"

"Yeah... it's okay now, so don't worry about it. You know how Toby gets... how Andy gets," Sam explained as he took his pants off and left them on the floor as he crawled up onto the bed.

CJ kissed Sam briefly and then she snuggled up against both of them.

"Sleep well, Sam," she whispered.

Sam hummed in response, already halfway asleep.

"What about me?" John whispered in her ear.

CJ laughed softly. "You're going to sleep well tonight, so I'm not too worried."


Chapter Eighteen


Toby groaned quietly and rolled onto his back. He heard Andy's purring and recognised it as the sound she made when she was happy and awake, but he made no move to open his eyes. He was exhausted; they stayed up most of the night, and his alarm hadn't sounded yet. He intended to sleep for as long as he could.

His ex-wife, though, had other intentions.

He felt her long, red hair against his torso before he felt her lips. She kissed his skin gently, travelling a line to his chest; then she took his nipple into her mouth.

Toby had managed to stay still as she worried the puckered flesh with her tongue; however, when she sank her teeth into it, he groaned loudly and arched his back, before cursing her under his breath.

Andy laughed softly. The jig was up.

"Good morning," he whispered gruffly.

"Mmm... morning," she purred back.

She leaned up over him, smiling sleepily at him. He smiled back at her and moved his hand upwards, catching it on the back of her head.

Their first kiss was shallow. But, the kisses that followed after Andy moved so her body was on top of his were much deeper, much more passionate.

"I'm gonna be late," Toby commented quietly.

"Then, we're all gonna be late," Andy reminded him with a smile. "The President won't fire all of you for being a few minutes late."

"No, but Leo might."

Andy chuckled, the sound vibrating in her throat. "I'll just explain things to him," she whispered, reaching down to rub his nose with hers.

Toby smirked. "I'm sure that'll work well for me."

"Or, maybe I'll just ask Jordan to talk to him..."

"I think you'd have more luck if you went to the First Lady," Toby pointed out.

Andy laughed and then kissed along his jaw, tickling her lips with his beard as she caressed him. Between kisses, she whispered, "No more talking about work."

"Oh, no?"

She shook her head as she looked at him. "This is our time..."

"Oh... it is?"

"Mmhmmm..."

Toby decided to take advantage of the moment. If she was game, he was definitely game. He put his hands on her back, and slowly slid them down until they rested on the curve of her upper thigh. Andy arched her body under his touch, rubbing against him in a way that reminded him how feline she was underneath that pale skin.

The lazy kissing stage passed when Andy scratched her nails across Toby's chest and arms. She evoked loud growls from his throat and when they passed, he rolled her over; she squeaked and then laughed, before making room for him against her body.

After thrusting inside of her, he made sure to lavish her neck with attention. That was one of his favourites of Andy's features; he loved the sleek column of flesh, the way it held her head high, and how the pale skin looked in contrast to her red hair. He hoped that his lips and beard left a few reminders there---he was man enough that those marks excited him.

"Andrea," he whispered.

"Mmm..." she purred, reaching up and brushing her fingers through the curls at the back of his neck. "More, Toby."

He obliged.

###


When Andy came into the kitchen, CJ immediately noticed the scent of satisfaction and the love bites on her neck.

"Good morning," CJ said in a teasing tone.

Andy blushed, but she didn't look very embarrassed. Her smirk told the leggy Press Secretary just how satisfied she was.

"Did you sleep well?" Andy asked as she made a beeline for the coffee pot.

CJ shrugged. "Yeah."

"I know that look..."

CJ sighed and set the briefing book down onto the kitchen table. "It's nothing, Andy," CJ said quietly. The blonde forensic scientist came in, wearing a pair of boxer shorts and someone's button-up shirt; she, too, went straight to the coffee machine. CJ glanced at her, smiled, and then turned back to Andy. "Just... nevermind."

Once Catherine left, waving at the other two women, Andy sat down and leaned towards her friend. "Spill, CJ. I heard the slamming doors last night."

After groaning, CJ put her head down on her arms. "God, Andy... I don't know what I was thinking..." she muttered. "I mean, it was John. I love everything about him."

"You have a weakness for him," Andy said as she rubbed CJ's back gently.

CJ peeked up at Andy. "No kidding."

"So... what happened?" The redhead prompted.

"He was still kind of out of it from the meds," CJ said, trying to explain. "And we were cuddling and that wasn't the bad part, because we've cuddled like that before. I've been shifted and he was still him... and vice versa. But, he pushed for more." She stopped talking and she looked away. "And I didn't hate it."

Andy nodded and brushed her fingers through CJ's hair, trying to offer her comfort. "What about---"

"Oh, the barbs hurt like hell," CJ confirmed. "But the rest wasn't so bad."

The redhead smiled a little. "So... you feel guilty for not hating it?"

"I didn't until Gibbs walked in on us." Andy winced. CJ nodded and replied: "Exactly."

"He's very---"

"Straight-laced?" CJ filled in the blank. "Conservative? Traditional? Normal?"

"CJ, I don't think norm---"

CJ interupted sharply. "Andy, I'm a freak. I just told you that I---" she stopped and waved her hands around. No sound came out; she couldn't form the words. "He is normal. I am so not."

"CJ, what is normal about any of us?" Andy challenged. "It's all a matter of degrees with us. You didn't hurt or kill anyone, so you should lighten up on yourself."

Toby chose that moment to walk in, flanked by Sam. Both men were holding a twin in their arms.

"You should," Sam agreed, since he knew what they were talking about. "Some of us have been in your shoes, too."

"Exactly," Andy agreed. "One shifter does not make the rules for all of us."

"But---"

"No buts," Toby said gruffly. "If one did, we probably would have killed ourselves off centuries ago."

"Hell," Sam added. "If our pack leaders made the rules, we'd all be married, have kids, and go to Church regularly---"

"What's wrong with that?"

Toby wagged a finger at CJ; as he spoke, Molly caught the finger and started gnawing on it. "You know that a lot of us would go crazy if that was our lot in life. You especially. Andy and I still wouldn't be speaking to each other, and we probably never would have met Sam to begin with."

"Oh, God," Sam moaned, before wrinkling his nose. "Me and Lisa, married? I'd be back in New York, miserable, and... and going to Tommy Hilfliger parties."

"And you'd probably snap at some point," Toby reasoned.

"Probably, yeah," Sam agreed.

CJ groaned and rubbed her temples. "This isn't helping, guys."

"You need to make peace with yourself," Andy told her quietly. "You need to accept that you liked---or didn't hate---it and realise that we aren't going to judge you for that."

Sam adjusted Huck in his arms and said, "We're your family, Ceej. The four of us, and John. Gibbs isn't."

Sam's words struck a chord within CJ. She knew he was right; they were a quirky little family. And they accepted her.

She blushed and nodded. "Yeah," she whispered.

"Give the Navy cop some time to cool down and then talk to him," Toby advised. "If you want to. You don't need to justify your preferences with him... just say you don't need him to make you feel badly about your life's choices."

"Because I've got you for that?" CJ teased.

Toby shrugged. "Well, yeah, but I'm not giving you grief over this."

"Do you even know what this is?" Andy asked, arching an eyebrow over one eye.

"I've put the pieces together."

Sam rolled his eyes. "I filled him in."

"Sam!"

He cringed. "Sorry... I just... he knew something was off. And we're family. It stays between us."

"I'm not exactly a gossip, CJ," Toby reminded her.

Her facial expression softened. "Yeah... I know."

"Even if he doesn't accept you," Andy said gently as she squeezed CJ's hand. "You'll probably feel better for clearing the air."

"And then you can come back to us," Sam offered. "We'll cheer you up."

CJ felt her lips twitch into a grin. Sam had made a very good point.



To be continued...