The Audition

"Mon chardonneret tells me you wish to audition for a role either at the Circus ou Guilty Pleasures," the vampire said, once two men escorted Harry into the private office.

The young wizard swallowed hard, nervously, and nodded. "Yes, sir," he said quietly.

The vampire smiled a little and set his pen down. He folded his hands over the smooth surface of his solid, wooden desk and Harry found himself drawn to the perfection in every movement the other male made.

"Some of my dancers are as short as you," he said, "but, I have not... examined your wares, so to speak. So I do not know if you will be précisément what we like to have upon our stage."

Harry blinked. "You want me to strip."

"Is there another way through which I can see what I am getting into?"

Fighting the urge to blush, Harry shook his head and tugged his t-shirt over his head. He dropped it on the floor to his left side and took his sandals off before he started on his pants. Left in a pair of shorts, his wand and its sheath on his right arm, and a necklace that consisted of an old relic hanging from a thin leather thong, he put his hands on his hips and let the vampire visually appraise him.

"You exercise."

Harry nodded.

"You are not exotic, mon petit agneau," the vampire said. "Guilty Pleasures is a club where leopards and wolves and vampires attract the affections of our female audience."

"You haven't seen what I can do yet," Harry pointed out.

"Oui," the vampire conceded. He raised a hand and waved it slightly. "Alors... show me," he said as he rose to his feet and walked around his desk very gracefully.

Harry took his wand out and pointed it at the floor space between them. "Serpensortia," he said quietly.

A snake appeared, with green and black scales. It slithered along the ground, looking for an escape, until Harry started speaking Parseltongue. He hissed, asking it to come closer, to slide over his body. After the snake coiled around one leg and then around his body and then around his neck, Harry asked it to travel to the vampire. He promised the snake that the vampire wouldn't hurt him, and then he asked the snake to do the same to the vampire's body.

The vampire laughed softly, a deep chuckle that made Harry shiver. "Oh, you have excellent tricks, mon petit agneau," he admitted. "And, perhaps, you will fit in nicely at Guilty Pleasures. The ladies' arousal and fear will be an intense combination."

Harry narrowed his eyes. "Thanks... I think."

The vampire chuckled again. "Oui. De rien." He extended a hand. "My name is Jean-Claude."

"Harry Potter," Harry said as he shook the vampire's hand.

"Come by tomorrow evening," Jean-Claude instructed, "at the back entrance. My security guards will know to let you in. No performing yet... but, perhaps it will help you to see what we do here."

Harry nodded. "Thank you."

"Do you have an alias you'd like to use?"

"Evan. Or James."

"I like Evan," Jean-Claude said, making the decision for Harry. "The dancers use aliases to keep their private lives separate from the club."

Harry shrugged. "Makes sense."

"A demain, mon petit agneau," Jean-Claude said before he dismissed Harry and allowed him to redress.


The End!