Acceptance

Hermione looked up when she saw Richard's body shadowed against the window of her bedroom. She stifled a yawn and rolled onto her side; her quiet noises tore his attention away from the outside world and caused him to look back at her.

"Did I wake you?"

She shook her head, her chestnut curls tumbling over her shoulder. "No," she whispered, reaching out for him. "What were you doing at the window?"

"They needed help," he explained quietly, admitting more than he wanted to. Hermione knew about his part in a triumverate of power and she accepted it; she loved Richard since she walked into the lupanar and became a part of the Thronnos Rokke Clan, and she would have done anything to have him in her life.

She slid her hand over his arm and over his shoulder, savouring the feel of the muscles and raw power underneath his skin. Even since she became a lycanthrope, she knew she was no match for Richard in a fight. But, she didn't expect that they would ever have a physical fight; he tried to protect her more than anything else.

After kissing his temple, she slid her face into his hair, which was growing longer and longer, much to her approval. She inhaled deeply and smelled his wolf under his skin. Richard growled softly and pulled her against his body.

"Are you too sore?" he asked, his polite man an interesting contrast to his wild beast.

"I healed," she whispered, turning her head so she could meet his eyes. His brown eyes had bled to amber; she shivered and licked her lips. "And I always want more of you," she added in a tender voice.

"Why do you accept me so easily?" he asked, the amber fading from his eyes. "Is it just because---"

Hermione cupped his face in her hands and kissed him, effectively cutting him off. "You're Ulfric, and I respect that," she murmured as she lifted her lips from his, "but that's not why I love you."

Richard's eyes widened. "You... love me?"

She blushed. "Can't help it," she whispered, shrugging. "I love you... the man, the beast." She paused and smoothed her hands over his hair. "I'm just lucky to have these few nights with you." She smiled sadly and shrugged. "I knew the score when I accepted your first offer."

"And you still... went along with it?"

"A little bit of you is always better than none of you at all," Hermione reasoned.

His eyes softened. "Hermione..."

"Shh," she whispered, sliding her hands down over his strong neck. "Just kiss me, alright?"

Richard nodded and pressed his lips to hers.


The End!